George Tavernite

George Tavernite is running to represent Holland Township on the Del Val BOE.

George Tavernite: Holland Twp.

George Tavernite is a current DVRHS Board of Education representative for Holland Township and is running for re-election on Nov. 8, 2022.

“I am running as an incumbent so that I may continue to support the administration in preserving and improving all of the programs that Del Val offers,” said Tavernite. 

Compared to other candidates, Tavernite notes that his passion gives him an edge.

“I do not have a Political Action Committee funding and running my campaign,” said Tavernite. “I am investing my time because being on the board is important to me…. I have a son who graduated from Del Val and a daughter who is a current student. Both have been provided with a strong foundation to succeed in both academics and athletics beyond Del Val.”

Tavernite wants to tackle major issues hands-on, including issues like insufficient state aid.  It is important to him to keep politics out of school board governance.

“Thus far, we have been able to make cuts that have had minimal impact to the student,” said Tavernite. “I need to continue to scrutinize the proposed budget and question expenditures. A fractured board is harmful to all stakeholders (staff, students and community).”

Handling misinformation regarding the school is an issue that Tavernite will do everything possible to handle diligently.

“Unfortunately, this may be out of my control, but I would try to determine valid concerns based on facts rather than ideologies,” said Tavernite. “I will inform our superintendent about the comments that question the programs at Del Val and ask for his input.”

Tavernite’s mission as part of the BOE is to equip Del Val’s students with tools that will prepare them for life after graduation.

It is important to invest in renovations, classroom design, technology, security and equipment that provides our students with an environment that supports all of our programs. Investing in our students is an investment in our future.

— George Tavernite

“It is [the school board’s] responsibility to ensure that our students are provided with learning skills that include critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creativity,” said Tavernite. “We need to equip [students] with the knowledge to develop life skills that include flexibility, initiative and social skills. Controversial issues should be taught factually and without bias. Discussion of controversial issues should encourage students to listen to each other and talk through their differences sensitively.”

Concerning financial decisions, Tavernite thinks Del Val should utilize its budget on spending that “supports district goals and objectives”. More specifically, Tavernite also believes, “it is important to invest in renovations, classroom design, technology, security and equipment that provides our students with an environment that supports all of our programs. Investing in our students is an investment in our future.”

To help Del Val stand out from other schools, Tavernite plans to “continue to promote all of our strengths: a smaller school with outstanding programs and extracurricular offerings for all students.”

With the rise of students pursuing trades at technical colleges, Tavernite believes Del Val needs to continue to work to promote these fields.

“We should partner with the diverse group of tradesmen in our community to provide them with an apprenticeship experience,” said Tavernite.

If Tavernite’s ideas align with yours, show support by voting on Nov. 8. 

The Delphi • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$205
$2000