The Delaware Valley Regional High School senior wrestlers are ready to continue a tradition of excellence.
The Delaware Valley Regional High School senior wrestlers are ready to continue “a tradition of excellence.”
Sarah Ruppert

Del Val senior wrestlers ready for action

Meet the seniors

“The Delphi” reached out to this year’s senior wrestlers to get to know more about their thoughts about the sport and their plans after high school.  All records are accurate as of the date of the interview.

More seniors will be added as they respond to “The Delphi” for comment.

Kyle Cooke
Kyle Cooke

Kyle Cooke, who has been wrestling for five years, plans on being a heavy equipment operator.

He is a heavyweight wrestler and believes that wrestlers should be putting in time and commitment, especially in the off season. He may not be excited for the end of his last wrestling season, but he is looking forward to doing the best he can.

Cooke hopes to make it into the Atlantic City tournament at the end of the season.

Cooke’s career record is 12-10, and this season, he wants to “do the best I can for the team so we can win another state title.”

Some of Cooke’s proudest achievements are winning back-to-back-to-back state titles and putting up a fight against schools like Phillipsburg, Warren Hills and Hunterdon Central.

Kyle Cooke (Sarah Ruppert)
Jackson Knight
Jackson Knight

Jackson Knight is wrestling for the first time this year, and weighs in at 165. He does not plan on wrestling in college. Jackson’s advice to the younger generation of wrestlers is, “Stick to it and don’t lose your motivation.”

Jackson Knight (Sarah Ruppert)
Cody Lagun
Cody Lagun

Cody Lagun plans to go into the Navy after high school before owning an electrician business.

Lagun currently wrestles 215 and has been wrestling since he was 5. Throughout his career, Lagun said that “staying consistent” has been the most difficult part.

“If you’re gonna do it [wrestle], stick with it,” said Lagun.

Lagun is putting all of his effort in for his final season. His goal for the season is to “be the best varsity wrestler I can be.”

Lagun hopes to bring the team to States and bring home its third straight state championship.

Cody Lagun (Sarah Ruppert)
Anthony Matthews
Anthony Matthews

Anthony Matthews wants to go to West Virginia after high school and study finances.

Matthews wrestles at 215 and has been wrestling since he was in Kindergarten.  Matthews says the hardest thing about wrestling is “staying focused and staying on the grind.”

His advice to younger wrestlers: “stick with it and let the coach teach you what to do.”

Matthews has mixed emotions about his final season as a Del Val wrestler.

“It’s upsetting because I’ve been doing it for so long, but excited to end it out on a high note.”

Matthews is 1-0 in his career as a varsity wrestler and looks to improve this year. He plans to “be the best I can be and prove myself with the team.”

Matthews has high expectations for the team this year and thinks the Terriers are going to bring home another state championship and a few wrestlers to place in states.

Anthony Matthews (Sarah Ruppert)
Dylan McEwan
Dylan McEwan

Dylan McEwan has many goals for his life after high school, but his priority is to go for a career in engineering.

McEwan wrestles 165 and has only been wrestling for two years.

“There’s  a lot of work to be put in [to wrestling] with little time, but you have to put the work in,” said McEwan.

McEwan is disappointed that it’s his final season because he admits that he will probably never wrestle again.

His advice for younger wrestlers is to “dedicate yourself and give 100 percent, and if you don’t give 100 percent, don’t show up.”

Dylan McEwan (Sarah Ruppert)
Evan Newman
Evan Newman

Evan Newman wants to wrestle at any level he has to opportunity to.

He wrestles 190 and started the sport in his sophomore year.

Newman said the hardest part of wrestling is “being able to work your tail off in the room every day and not get tired.”

Newman’s advice to young athlets is to “trust the process and trust your coaches.”

Newman is 6-5 on his career and this season he looks to “have a better record than last year.” He also has high expectations for the team, and he expects to bring back another state championship.

Evan Newman (Sarah Ruppert)
Matt Roche
Matt Roche

Matt Roche wants to continue his wrestling career in college while studying business and music.

He currently wrestles at 132 and has been around the sport for 12 years.

Roche said the hardest thing about the sport is “keeping self-discipline and staying consistent.”

Roche is exited to give his all for his final season. He is one of the top wrestlers on the team and took 8th in the state last year. He was also the team captain in his junior year.

Roche is 37-16 in his career, and he expects the team to have a solid season, bringing home the state championship for the third year in a row.

Matt Roche (Sarah Ruppert)
August Savacool
August Savacool

August Savacool wants to go to a trade school for welding after he graduates from Del Val.

Savacool wrestles at 155 and has been wrestling since fourth grade.

Savacool said “getting back to work after a loss,” can be a struggle and that he is “sad to see it [wrestling] go away, but I want to make the best of it,”.

His advice for younger wrestlers is to “come in every day and work hard and go after it.”

Savacool thinks the team is going to go all the way and bring back the cup for the third year in row.

August Savacool (Sarah Ruppert)
Mitchell Sutter
Mitchell Sutter

Mitchell Sutter plans on continuing his athletic and academic career at a four year university after he graduates from high school.

Sutter wrestles at 150 and has been wrestling since fifth grade.

“The nonstop conditioning and grind you have to endure to get any better,” is difficult but worth it to Sutter.

Sutter wants young athletes to “condition outside of practice to stay good and get better.”

Sutter is upset that it is his final season, but he is proud of himself for making it. He is a returning varsity wrestler with an 18-6 record in his career.

His goal is to win a district title, regional title and place in States. As for his team goals, he wants them to finish as the number one district team in the state and bring home a third title.

Mitchell Sutter (Sarah Ruppert)
Joe Zaleznack
Joey Zaleznack

Joey Zaleznack is looking to go to school to train to be a state trooper for the State of New Jersey.

Zaleznack wrestles at 165 and has been wrestling for his whole life. The hardest part of wrestling for him are the practices.

Zaleznack advises young wrestlers to “keep practicing. That’s all you can do, and to do it as often and as much as possible.”

Zaleznack has wrestled all four years at Del Val and thinks that he brings good energy to the team and mat.

He wants to wrestle for varsity on the home mat, and his ultimate goal is to make it to Atlantic City. As for the team, Zaleznack thinks this is going to be another great year and that the Terriers are going to go far and bring back a third consecutive state championship.

Joe Zaleznack (Sarah Ruppert)