Sara Matthews and Erin Bate debate which pie is the best for Thanksgiving.
Sara

Thanksgiving dessert debate

Is pumpkin or apple pie the best?
Pumpkin pie is editor-in-chief Sara Matthews Thanksgiving dessert of choice.
Pumpkin pie: the better option

Pumpkin pies are a Thanksgiving dessert essential. 

Pumpkin pie was made thousands of years ago, and has been growing to be the best Thanksgiving dessert. The first Thanksgiving did not include pumpkin pie, as the proper equipment (such as the oven) had not yet been invented. However, there was said to have still been pumpkin dishes served.

According to goodhousekeeping.com, about 50 million pumpkin pies are sold each year. The most common seller is Costco, selling 6.3 million pies every year. One third of all pies are sold during the week of Thanksgiving. That’s around 2.1 million pies in a seven-day window.

Thanksgiving is a family-oriented holiday. Families gather together to enjoy a home-cooked meal with their loved ones. Celebrating in someone’s home allows families to feel connected. Certain foods also create this feeling, like it’s always Thanksgiving when eating that food. Pumpkin pie is one of these desserts, as it has a bunch of spices often found in the average family household’s cupboard.

“I like it because of the spices it has and it feels like home,” said senior Alyssa Montanez.

Many people prefer their pumpkin pies with a generous amount of whipped topping, while others enjoy this delicious dessert plain. The crust is a typical phyllo dough, but can sometimes have a graham cracker crust. 

Although some prefer the juicy and crunchy apple filling, nothing beats a smooth and creamy pumpkin pie.

“Pumpkin pie is way better than apple pie because the texture is smooth and the taste seems way more seasonal,” said senior Brooke Regep.

Pumpkin pie uses a variety of spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Pumpkin pie spice can also be used as a replacement, as it incorporates the same ingredients. 

“The seasoning in pumpkin pie is better incorporated into the pie so you get pumpkin pie seasoning with every bite,” said Regep.

Believe it or not, pumpkin pie is actually good for you! It has large amounts of vitamin A, which is useful for improving your eyesight and immune system. Pumpkin purée promotes healthy skin, boosts fiber and can reduce your risk of heart disease. 

Although there is no correct answer in which pie is the ultimate choice for Thanksgiving, pumpkin pie is the smoothest and healthiest option. 

Pumpkin pie is editor-in-chief Sara Matthews Thanksgiving dessert of choice. (Sara)
Apple pie is reporter Erin Bates Thanksgiving dessert of choice.
Apple pie: the better option

Dating back to the late 1700s, apple pie made an appearance as a recipe included in America’s very first cookbook, American Cookery by Amelia Simmons from 1796.

Since its invention, apple pie has quickly become the favorable dessert for many Americans. Apple pie is the clear winner for the United States as a whole. According to a businesswire.com survey, 27 percent of sales in the United States alone go to apple pie above all other pie flavors.

The most popular Thanksgiving dessert, apple pie, is a popular and easy favorite of many. Traditionally, apples, either crisp and crunchy or soft and mushy, are mixed with a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.

“I prefer apple pie much more over other flavors of pie especially pumpkin pie because the consistency and taste of pumpkin pie is equivalent to baby food,” said sophomore Marlena Vastola. “All around apple pie is a much better option.”

Apple pie is preferred by many as it pairs with a variety of toppings. Out of many possible topping combinations, the most popular ones include ice cream, whipped cream and cheddar cheese.

“Apple pie wins easily as it is just simply superior,” said sophomore Josalyn Walker. “On top of it being superior, you can do so much more with apple pie and add many more toppings than you can with other pie flavors.”

Compared to other flavors, apples are one of the healthiest fruits. Apples contain rich fiber and antioxidants which are linked to having a lower chance of many chronic conditions. Apples are also big on promoting gut and brain health.

Even though there is no direct answer for which flavor of pie is the best for this holiday season, apple pie is a strong contestant in the running.

Apple pie is reporter Erin Bate’s Thanksgiving dessert of choice. (Erin)

This poll has ended.

Which is the better pie for Thanksgiving?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.