The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

Poll

How often do you check "The Delphi?"

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Local Weather

• 11 AM
    75 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    79 °
  • 2 PM
    80 °
  • 3 PM
    81 °
  • 4 PM
    80 °
  • 5 PM
    80 °
  • 6 PM
    77 °
  • 7 PM
    72 °
  • 8 PM
    69 °
  • 9 PM
    67 °
  • 10 PM
    64 °
  • 11 PM
    62 °
  • 12 AM
    61 °
  • 1 AM
    60 °
  • 2 AM
    59 °
  • 3 AM
    58 °
  • 4 AM
    57 °
  • 5 AM
    57 °
  • 6 AM
    59 °
  • 7 AM
    62 °
  • 8 AM
    66 °
  • 9 AM
    70 °
  • 10 AM
    73 °
  • 11 AM
    76 °
July 2
81°/ 54°
Sunny
July 3
84°/ 56°
Sunny
July 4
81°/ 62°
Patchy rain nearby

Ivy League students protesting Palestine and Israel conflict

Ella Genovese
Protests around the country have affected classes, final exams and graduation ceremonies on college campuses.

In late 2023, war broke out on the Gaza Strip, and “The Delphi” covered what was happening as well as the lengthy history between the two countries. Now protests are breaking out across the United States.

Over the past few weeks, Ivy League colleges have been protesting the continued conflict.

The protests began at Columbia University on April 17, 2024. Other Ivy League colleges saw protests that followed after, including Harvard, Yale and Princeton.

Authorities stepped in at Columbia on April 18 when protestors set up tents after being instructed not to. More than 100 people were arrested that day.

Only a few days later, on April 30, Hamilton Hall at Columbia University had a crowd of protestors gathered around and attempting to get in.

Speaker of the House Mike Johnson first called on Columbia University’s president Minouche Shafik to step down. Shafik has yet to do so despite multiple calls for her to.

Multiple colleges have switched to online classes, including Columbia University, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), City College of New York, California State Polytechnic University and Tulane.

Schools such as Colombia, Cornell, MIT and George Washington University have taken further measures, suspending, or threatening to suspend, any students who participate in these protests.

The University of Southern Carolina, Columbia and Barnard University have all cancelled their commencement ceremonies for this year due to the unrest at the universities.

Keep an eye on this article for more updates.