Del Val's football team lines up for another play at Youth Night.
Del Val’s football team lines up for another play at Youth Night.
Gianna Roberts

Del Val celebrates football, cheerleading Youth Night

Categories:

Del Val held their Youth Night on Sept. 20 to see the upcoming cheerleaders and football players of Del Val.

“Youth Night is really special,” Principal Michael Kays said. “…I think it’s a really cool experience for the youngsters, the future Terriers, to get a sense of what it means to be apart of Del Val, see the Dawg Pound. They get to be on the field, so I think it’s really good for them, and I think it’s really good for our students to just see what the future looks like and be an inspiration for them.”

Del Val faced off against J. P. Stevens. Accompanied by an excited student section, the Dawg Pound, hyping them up, players ran onto the field.

In the first quarter, Del Val made a tackle that prevented J. P. Stevens from reaching the end zone. At the end of the first quarter, the game was 0-0.

Del Val scored two touchdowns, one on a breakaway, making the score 14-0. Del Val almost reached the end zone again but was tackled.

Despite the tackle, the Dawg Pound was cheering on the Terriers. School spirit is what makes the games according to Coach Ben Ibach.

“It means everything,” Ibach said. “If you don’t have school spirt, then you’re not going to be successful, and you know Del Val has a lot of school spirit.”

At halftime, the score was 14-0. During the break, Del Val’s marching band and color guard put on a performance supported by J. P. Stevens’ band on the sideline.

Del Val’s players and supporters kept up the hype of the first quarter into the third. The Terriers missed a touchdown but made it up with a field goal towards the end of the third.

At the end of the third quarter the score was 17-0 Del Val.

The Dawg Pound lost some of its spark as the game continued on, and the match ended in a shutout of 17-0.

Athletic director Lance Jacobs has high hopes for the rest of the team’s season.

“They’ve been doing fantastic, we’re really proud and to see all their hard work come to fruition with good results,” Jacobs said.

• The football team breaking through the Del Val Football banner to kick off the game.

'
  • Youth cheerleaders joined the high schoolers to perform stunts for those watching in the stands. They waited against the fence watching the game until it was their time to cheer.

'
  • Youth cheerleaders performing with Del Val’s high schoolers on the sidelines. Youth Night builds the young girls’ confidence, supplies them with role models to look up to and encourages them to continue cheering.

'
  • The team worked to communicate and pass to each other, which payed off in the final score.

'
  • The Dawg Pound student section decked out and celebrating in neon colors for Youth Night.

'
  • Del Val playing against J.P. Stevens on the field. Their high-energy and hard work payed off, as the game ended in a shutout.

'
  • Students lined up at the concession stand during halftime to purchase food and drinks. The neon theme carried on throughout the stadium.

'
  • A Del Val player swerving the other team to run toward the end zone. The final tally was 17-0.

'
  • Following their win, the football players high-fived their opponents to end off the night. Respecting the competition is at the heart of Del Val’s athletics program.

'
$0
$2000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Delaware Valley Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to attend conventions, purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.