Lynda DeFrancesco: Kingwood

October 28, 2021

Lynda DeFrancesco is a current BOE member who represents Kingwood Township.

Lynda DeFrancesco

Lynda DeFrancesco is a current Board of Education representative, running for re-election in Kingwood Township.

Regarding “controversial” issues related to teaching and learning in the classroom, DeFrancesco believes talking about controversial issues can help students understand all sides of a topic. She also believes that it’s important for students to discuss those issues.

When exploring controversial issues, students have the opportunity to learn about real life topics, and they can begin to understand different perspectives. Students also gain opportunities to share ideas, listen carefully to one another, and practice being open and respectful,” DeFrancesco said. 

DeFrancesco feels that the school’s top budget priority is “balancing” the money that the school is allotted. 

“The budget priority I consider most important for Del Val in the next year is our ability to balance state cuts while maintaining our outstanding programming,” DeFrancesco said.

DeFrancesco believes that these budget cuts are “unfortunate,” but the BOE has to deal with the cuts and adjust DVRHS’ programs. DeFrancesco would manage budget cuts by offsetting them with specific programs.

“My goal would be to continue using budget saving programs like shared services to offset the cuts,” DeFrancesco said.

Changes in the school go beyond budget cuts. DeFrancesco believes that the COVID-19 pandemic has changed education “in a number of ways.” She thinks that the pandemic has allowed for distance learning to “fully evolve” and that “learning has improved for everyone since the start of the crisis.”

“I think the pandemic has also taught us the value of in person education; who would have ever thought so many students would be longing to get back to a normal, live school life,” DeFrancesco said.

It is imperative that we as a community listen to one another, stay apprised with relevant factual information and support all of our students first and foremost.

— Lynda DeFrancesco

Regarding the introduction of new, innovative programs, DeFrancesco thinks that the “breadth” of Del Val clubs, athletics and arts is “unique.”

Del Val is a strong model for innovative teaching and learning, not only from a curricular aspect, but also from the extracurricular experiences offered here. I am so impressed with the emergence of the Academy programs over the last few years,” DeFrancesco said. “If we continue to invest in the Academies, along with all of our extracurricular programs, our students will continue to become more and more competitive.

DeFrancesco stated that the most important improvement that needs to be made to the school is maintaining small class sizes which allow students to “thrive.”

DeFrancesco said, “[Small class sizes] provide for more personalized and effective instruction and build strong teacher-student relationships. Our size also allows for a robust extracurricular program and students are thriving.”

DeFrancesco also believes that the role of arts and athletics plays an important role at Del Val.

“I consider our arts and athletics to be a top priority and will do everything I can to ensure that they continue to receive full Board support,” DeFrancesco said.

DeFrancesco stated that she feels what makes Del Val such a special community is “supporting all of our students first and foremost.”

DeFrancesco said, “It is imperative that we as a community listen to one another, stay apprised with relevant, factual information and support all of our students first and foremost.”

Concerning being “Future Ready,” DeFrancesco believes that Del Val is a “model” Future Ready school. She asserted that Del Val’s “adaptability” has played a key role during the pandemic.

Our curriculum and our outstanding faculty are constantly encouraging personalized and innovative digital learning opportunities for students. I believe this background sets our students up for a very successful future in their post-secondary careers and education,” DeFrancesco said.

DeFrancesco is “highly motivated” to run for the Board of Education because she has “25 years of experience as an educator and school leader.”

When referring to her experience, DeFrancesco said, “[Working in education] has allowed me to develop a thorough understanding of all the nuances that surround our schools and how best to address those needs with a mindset focused on what is best for students.”

If you agree with these ideas and wish to support this candidate, make sure to vote on Nov. 2.

$205
$2000

About the Contributor
Photo of Joe Flynn
Joe Flynn, Sports Editor

Joe is a senior who is interested in sports. His favorite sport is baseball, and his second favorite sport is football. Joe joined The Delphi staff because...

The Delphi • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$205
$2000