Del Val dominates senior nights

Del Val dominates senior nights

Introduction
Introduction

On Feb. 1, 2024, the Del Val Terriers girls and boys basketball teams hosted their senior nights.

Both games resulted in wins for the seniors, and “The Delphi” staff was there to cover the two games.

Congratulations to the seniors on their wins and good luck with the rest of the season.

Boys Basketball
Boys Basketball

The night started off with the boys Del Val basketball seniors being introduced.

The boys varsity basketball team faced off against the Voorhees Vikings.

The start of the game did not go well for either team, resulting in a low scoring first quarter, and both teams having missed opportunities.

More than half way through the first quarter the score was only 3-2, with Del Val down by one point.

Del Val did manage to tie the game with under three minutes, making the first quarter’s final score 5-5.

There was inconsistent cheering from the Dawg Pound in the first quarter, swaying between cheering on the Terriers and trying to discourage the Vikings.

The second quarter went better for Del Val, who scored 19 points, ten more than Voorhees, with a halftime score of 24-14.

Within the first 30 seconds of the quarter, the Terriers managed to score 4 points.

After a Vikings’ comeback, Del Val responded by making a three-pointer and taking the foul, from which Frankie Denvir made all three of his foul shots.

Del Val had a DJ on hand who was making his presence known by pumping up the Terriers.

The third quarter was a low scoring affair, with a score of 32-25.

The Dawg Pound cheered against Voorhees this quarter, with the Vikings scoring in under 20 seconds and making a foul shot.

Del Val continued scoring consistently, including another three-point shot for Denvir.

Danny Shapiro had a strong fourth quarter, including making four foul shots.

The boys’ Senior Night ended with a score of 43-37 and a win for the Terriers.

Girls Basketball
Girls Basketball

The exciting night continued with Del Val’s senior girls basketball players being introduced.

Following their introduction, Del Val prepared to face off with Belvidere High School.

The game did not start off strong for Del Val, with Belvidere’s offense taking control at the beginning of the first quarter. However, the Terriers were able to turn it around and end the first quarter with a score of 12-9.

As the game continued, Del Val was able to slowly build a lead against Belvidere, causing more pressure to be put on the opposing team. This rising tension led to a personal foul being called against Belvidere’s coach. This then allowed for junior Elana Falkenstien to have five free throw attempts, which helped boost Del Val’s lead. 

The third quarter kicked off with Del Val working hard to keep its lead. The crowd made its presence known with consistent cheering for the Lady Terriers and constant attempts to distract Belvidere’s team.

When the fourth quarter began, something shifted for Belvidere. The opposing girls were able to make a strong comeback and tie up the game with less than two minutes on the clock.

It was really intense and so entertaining to watch,” said freshman Nicole Schneider.

As the final minutes ensued, fans had their entire focus on the nail-biting finale. 

When it mattered most, Katie Nolan and Elana Falkenstein were able to put Del Val back in the lead. 

Due to excellent overall team performance, Del Val was able to pull off a win against Belvidere High School for Senior Night.