Del Val is thrilled to see two of its students going to one of the best music schools in America.
Jocelyn Denné

Two seniors ready to make music at Berklee

Swara Modis performance as Wednesday Addams was a highlight of last years musical. (Photo via Rick Epstein)
Swara Modi “sings” her way to Berklee

Picture this: you’re a senior on spring break and soaking up all the sunshine and everything else Miami has to offer. Suddenly the email notification pops on your phone and you’re whole life changes. You’ve been accepted into the one and only Berklee Music Program. This is what happened to Swara Modi.

You may recognize Modi from the numerous musicals and plays she’s been a part of. Just this year, Modi landed the lead female role for Del Val’s production of “Newsies.”

Modi was enjoying her spring break in the Florida sun, when she was accepted.

“I was with my mom and we just called my dad crying of joy,” Modi said. “We were so happy.”

Modi is studying songwriting and professional music, using her voice as the instrument.

“Berklee was the only school I applied to with songwriting, so I’m thrilled to be doing what I love,” Modi said.

Modi is staying on campus and plans to try out for many clubs, including Berklee’s A Capella group, which is ranked #1 in the nation.

Modi also plans to focus on songwriting, as she wants to make a career out of it.

After Berklee, Modi dreams of becoming a professional songwriter and hopefully sign with Electric Lady Studios.

Modi attributes this acceptance into hours of hard work.

“If you want success, you need to be ready to put your everything into it,” Modi said. “You can’t be somewhat involved, but fully committed.”

While Del Val will definitely miss Modi, her future is so, so bright.

Swara Modi’s performance as Wednesday Addams was a highlight of last year’s musical. (Photo via Rick Epstein)
Manny Modugnos production of his senior year music video was a highlight of DVTVs production (Photo via Modugno)
Manny Modugno “plays” his way to college

Applications have been sent, essays have been written, and the wait for acceptances is over. Throughout the past few weeks, students across Del Val have been committing to colleges of their choice, each student excited to see where their next four years take them.

One student in particular is more than enthusiastic to share his acceptance into Berklee College of Music and to share his plans for the next four years. Senior Manny Modugno is happy to announce that he will be attending one of the best music schools in the country.

Modugno has always known that he’s wanted to work in the music industry. More specifically, he has been planning to major in Music Production and Engineering for the past five years. He was happy to be able to get the opportunity to apply and audition for Berklee and even more happy to tell his family and friends about his acceptance.

“I actually got my notification at midnight, but I didn’t open it until I was with Griffin [Engelhardt],” Modugno said. “We both prepared for the worst and the best, and to be honest, it didn’t feel real at first. There wasn’t a massive reaction. We just wanted to tell Mr. Hayden [band director] immediately. My family was very excited since I auditioned for early acceptance and the decision came the week of Christmas. I had to make a lot of phone calls to tell everyone. As far as friends go, Griffin has been very supportive and excited even though he doesn’t want me to leave.”

Starting on Aug. 24, when Modugno and fellow students move in, the college will start to bubble with student life and have many performance opportunities that the students get to be a part of and experience together.

“Berklee has a lot of different bands to join to accommodate all playing styles, so I will definitely find a band that is around the funk genre,” Modugno said. “Since Berklee is in a city, student life will be pretty diverse in the amount of things to do as well.”

Manny Modugno’s production of his senior year music video was a highlight of DVTV’s production (Photo via Modugno)