Recent Results
Poll

What is your favorite winter sport?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Just finishing up their junior season, these four captains are preparing for an even better senior season.
Girls lacrosse captains wrap up 2024 season
Riley Campbell, Reporter • May 30, 2024
Round two of the Stanley Cup playoffs are in the books, and round three is set to decide who will compete for the Cup.
Round two of the Stanley Cup playoffs
Sadie Swanson, Features Editor • May 29, 2024

Round two of the Stanley Cup playoffs

Round 2 of the Stanley Cup has officially concluded, and this round surprised many fans. Some were left feeling disappointed, while others are celebrating their team’s achievements. The matchups for this round were close ones, and hockey fans were divided everywhere.

The Florida Panthers traveled north to Boston to play the Bruins. In Game 1, Boston had a landslide win, 5-1. However, the Panthers weren’t done with their playoff run just yet. They went on to win the next three games. Florida won those games 6-1, 6-2 and 3-2. Game 5 was a nail biter, but Boston took the win, 2-1. Game 6 reversed the roles, and Florida bared its claws to Boston one last time, winning 2-1. The final series went 4-2, and Florida advanced to the conference finals.

Also for the Eastern Conference were the New York Rangers vs the Carolina Hurricanes. The Rangers had an amazing regular season and were doing even better in postseason. The Rangers won the first three games of the series 4-3, 4-3 in game 2 with 2 overtimes, and game three 3-2 with an overtime as well. However, the Hurricanes blew into the arenas for games four and five, taking the wins back. The Hurricanes’ victories were short-lived with game 6, where the Rangers had a 2 point lead in the end, finishing the final game of the series 5-3. The Rangers, matching the Panthers, had a 4-2 record at the end of the series.

For the first match-up of the Western Conference were the Dallas Stars playing the Colorado Avalanche. Colorado took the first win, going into overtime with a final score of 4-3. For the next three games though, Dallas showed Colorado who’s boss, winning 5-3, 4-1 and 5-1. Colorado made its comeback for game five, winning 5-3. However, they lost in game six in second overtime, 2-1. At least Colorado can say it went down with a fight, with the series ending 4-2.

Lastly was the battle of Canada between the Vancouver Canucks and the Edmonton Oilers. The Canucks came in strong, winning game one with a score of 5-4. For the next four games, winners flip-flopped. Game two was won by the Oilers, going into overtime for a final score of 4-3. Game three went back to Vancouver, going 4-3. Game four was the Oilers’ winning a close game 3-2. The Canucks then reversed the scores, also winning 3-2. As the teams approached game six, Canucks fans had high hopes and Oilers fans were hoping for a comeback. Oilers fans had their wish granted, and the Oilers won 5-1. Going into game seven, many Canucks fans were praying to let Vancouver have this one thing. They didn’t pray hard enough since Edmonton won 3-2.

That last series ruined my bracket since I had wanted the Canucks to win the Cup this year, allowing the team to have its first championship.

Round 3 of the Stanley Cup is going to find the winners of the Conferences and determine who’s going on to the final matchup. The Rangers are playing the Panthers, and even though I am a Devils fan, and this is painful to say, I have good faith in the Rangers winning. Then the Dallas Stars are meeting up with the Edmonton Oilers, and I’m hoping for Dallas to win this matchup.