The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

Freshman Field Day set for 5/23

Tyler McGuire
Freshman Field Day will take place on Thursday, May 23.

On Thursday, May 23, Delaware Valley Regional High School will host Freshman Field Day, a favorite event for the school’s youngest students.

Freshman Field Day will be packed with a variety of exciting activities where students can compete for the ultimate prize: bragging rights for the rest of their high school careers.

Freshman Field Day is a day where freshmen come together to work in teams against one another and compete in a variety of activities.

“Del Val is a regional school district,” science supervisor and field day organizer Stacy Grady said. “The freshman class comes from four separate middle schools. Freshman Field Day is a way to solidify the class identity as the Del Val class of 2027, rather than the eighth grade classes of 2023. Plus, it’s a lot of fun!”

Freshman Field Day will be run based on a point system which determines each team’s standing during the competition.

“The results of every game in the morning will be communicated to senior-helper scorekeepers, and Ms. Given and I will oversee the tallying and calculation of those scores,” Grady said. “In the afternoon, each team will earn points based on where they finish in the events. The most successful team will get the most points, and the least successful team will get the least. But every team gets points for every event, both in the morning and the afternoon.”

Freshman Field Day is a way to solidify the class identity as the Del Val class of 2027, rather than the eighth grade classes of 2023.”

— Stacy Grady

Freshman will be dismissed early for an 8 a.m. start, and they will be dismissed directly to their buses from the field at the end of the day.

“We start in The Hutch, where we all get together and get excited for the day,” Grady said. “From there, the four teams are split into four sub-teams, and those smaller sub-teams go out for a morning of competition. They will be playing ultimate frisbee, volleyball, kickball, and Jeopardy based on material learned this year.”

Lunch is provided for all who attend the event.

“Then, it’s lunch time around 12:15,” Grady said. “We will be grilling hot dogs, but students can bring their own lunch to the main office before first period that day, labeled with their name and team. We will also provide free Rita’s, with flavors including cotton candy, mango, Swedish fish, lemon, and blue raspberry. During lunch, we will announce the scores from the morning’s events.”

The afternoon features activities for the larger teams.

“In the afternoon, the sub-teams reunite into large teams for relay races on the turf and track,” Grady said. “We’ll do a water balloon toss, dizzy bat and a tug-of-war. At the end of the relay races, we will tally all the scores and declare a winner.”

This detailed schedule ensures that Freshman Field Day is well-organized and filled with fun activities that promote teamwork and school spirit. Freshmen need to be prepared for the day.

“Wear sneakers, bring a water bottle, a jacket, sunscreen and a snack since we won’t be eating lunch until later than usual,” Grady said. “Most importantly, bring a great attitude!”

With all of these exciting plans in place, Delaware Valley Regional High School is providing an unforgettable experience for the freshman class, allowing for new friendships and forever lasting memories.