Del Val students exercise civic right by voting for first time

Meredith Levy
Voters around the country proudly wear their “I Voted” stickers after exercising their American right to vote.

On Tuesday, Nov. 7, 18-year-olds all over the United States participated in an age-old American tradition for the first time by voting in the municipal election. 

Voting is a crucial part of being an American citizen. Individuals get to share their opinions and be heard by those they elect to represent them. Because of this privilege provided to the people, America is a place of freedom and opportunity. 

However, Americans don’t gain the right to vote until they turn 18. First-time voters have been watching their parents or older relatives vote for the future of their country their whole lives, eagerly awaiting their chance to share their voice. This year, several students at Delaware Valley Regional High School exercised their civic duty by voting.

“I was looking forward to voting,” said senior Benjamin Levy. “It’s good for me to get my voice out into politics and be heard.”

The right to vote belongs to all American citizens, allowing them to make choices based on their beliefs. For high school students who are now jumping into the world of politics, it has a profound meaning to them.

It’s good for me to get my voice out into politics and be heard.

— Ben Levy

“It means you are old enough to have a say in who is in charge,” said senior Brian Zipay. “People should have a say in who does what around here.”

Levy shared similar thoughts on the importance of voting.

“It is freedom for me, like the American identity” said Levy. “Something you should be able to do because you don’t want to be ruled over by a dictatorship where you don’t control anything and feel just isolated.”

This year in the general election, seats were open on many township committees, township boards of education, county commissioners, and other smaller government roles. Seats were available for the Delaware Valley Regional High School Board of Education in which representatives from several township were elected. 

High school students described their experience of walking to the voting booth for the first time as “nerve-racking” and “exciting.” They reflected that it was intimidating when they first walked into the booth but that they were excited at the chance to have their voices heard.

After voting, Americans receive the well-known “I Voted” sticker to show that their opinions are counted in the decision-making of their country. Voting is an opportunity placed before the American people and is even more monumental the first time.

Both Zipay and Levy said they plan to vote in the next election and would recommend that when others reach the age of 18, they also vote and become a part of American democracy.

“I felt empowered,” said Levy. “I have always looked at politics when I was younger and I wished someone did things differently, and now I can help to make changes and elect a person who will do things the way I see it.”