The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

Poll

How often do you check "The Delphi?"

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Local Weather

• 2 AM
    37 °
  • 3 AM
    37 °
  • 4 AM
    36 °
  • 5 AM
    35 °
  • 6 AM
    37 °
  • 7 AM
    41 °
  • 8 AM
    44 °
  • 9 AM
    47 °
  • 10 AM
    50 °
  • 11 AM
    53 °
  • 12 PM
    55 °
  • 1 PM
    57 °
  • 2 PM
    57 °
  • 3 PM
    57 °
  • 4 PM
    54 °
  • 5 PM
    50 °
  • 6 PM
    48 °
  • 7 PM
    47 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    46 °
  • 11 PM
    46 °
  • 12 AM
    46 °
  • 1 AM
    46 °
  • 2 AM
    46 °
April 27
59°/ 35°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
71°/ 44°
Moderate rain
April 29
82°/ 56°
Patchy rain nearby

Del Val’s NHS blood drive: saving lives

Sara Matthews and Riley Campbell cover the NHS Fall Blood Drive with the help of NHS advisor Tracy Miceli.
Gianna Roberts
NHS volunteers stand in front of the Red Cross transportation truck.

On Nov. 16, 2023, Delaware Valley Regional High School hosted the Red Cross blood drive, an event that happens twice a year to unite the community and save lives.

“We have a lot of success in students donating, faculty donating and the community coming to donate,” said Tracy Miceli, the organizer of the event.

Del Val’s National Honor Society hosts many events throughout the school year and works closely with the Red Cross to bring the blood drive to the school. 

Anyone above the age of 16, and who meets all the requirements, is able to donate. The blood benefits patients in hospitals as well as the students of Del Val. 

The NHS works hard in collaboration with the Red Cross to make sure those who donate are taken care of. The Red Cross provides phlebotomists as well as the equipment needed to collect the blood. NHS volunteers student helpers to ensure nurses and donors alike are getting the respect and care they deserve, including snacks and drinks to keep their energy up.

“We try to do something before the holidays with the American Red Cross to make sure that our students and community members are giving back to their community and beyond,” said Miceli.

The blood drive achieves 50-70 units of donated blood every drive, and this year was no different. Out of the 71 people that donated, a total of 59 productive units of blood were collected. 

Many students at Del Val also donated on Thursday. It was a first for many, but they knew it would benefit others. 

“It’s a new experience, sort of an interesting concept, giving your blood to others to help them,” said senior Phoenix Wigget.

The Red Cross is always hoping to collect units of less common blood types, such as O negative. This blood types is desirable because it is universal, meaning anyone can receive it. 

Del Val’s blood drives take place biannually, so next time the Red Cross drive comes around if you qualify consider donating to save lives. 

• The Red Cross van arrived in front of the school to collect and transport the donated blood at the end of the event.

• The national honor society works hard each year to continue the success of the blood drives Del Val hosts. Members are expected to participate by guiding donors to the gym and circulating the area.

• The national honor society works hard each year to continue the success of the blood drives. Members are expected to participate by guiding donors to the gym and circulating the area.

• This year’s blood drive had more student donors than in years past, causing people to have to wait in the waiting area!.

• A Red Cross phlebotomist smiles as he prepares to help another donor.

• NHS volunteers stay up to date on their school work while helping the cause.

• Many members of the Del Val community also came to the school to donate blood.

• Participants were given a comfortable environment to relax as their blood was drawn. Phlebotomist were able to keep all donors calm while donating blood. They made sure each donor was stable before they were released.

• Del Val senior, Mackenzie Hlasney, smiles as she donates blood with the help of her phlebotomists.

• NHS volunteers also handed out snacks to donors after they finish.

• Del Val’s NHS advisors, Tracy Miceli (Right) and Lisa Cartwright (left) also provided socks for the donors!