Poll

What movie are you most excited for this winter?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Recent Results
Frenchtown, NJ

• 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    44 °
  • 9 AM
    48 °
  • 10 AM
    51 °
  • 11 AM
    54 °
  • 12 PM
    56 °
  • 1 PM
    57 °
  • 2 PM
    55 °
  • 3 PM
    52 °
  • 4 PM
    49 °
  • 5 PM
    47 °
  • 6 PM
    46 °
  • 7 PM
    46 °
  • 8 PM
    45 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    45 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    45 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    44 °
  • 5 AM
    45 °
  • 6 AM
    45 °
  • 7 AM
    47 °
April 27
58°/ 35°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
74°/ 43°
Patchy rain nearby
April 29
80°/ 57°
Patchy rain nearby
The movie poster for “Immaculate,” out in theaters March 22.
Immaculate: a review
Brooke Regep, Contributing Writer • April 23, 2024
Amazons newest comedy features some familiar faces in some unfamiliar roles. (Photo via Amazon Prime Video)
"Ricky Stanicky"
Is he really fake?
Linsey Godown, Contributing Writer • April 17, 2024

“Newsies:” a review of Del Val’s winter musical

@dvrhs_performing_arts
The newsboys plan to strike in Del Val’s production of “Newsies.”

Del Val’s theater department put on another successful winter musical with this year’s performance of “Newsies.” 

“Newsies” is a musical about poor newspaper boys living on the streets of New York who make their living by selling newspapers. The conflict begins when Joseph Pulitzer raises the price of 100 papers to 60 cents, compared to the previous 50 cents. This leads the Newsies going on strike and refusing to sell papers. 

The lead, Jack Kelly, was played by the talented Dakota Krouse. This was Krouse’s fourth and final musical with Del Val. He has a deep love for acting, and participates in a group outside of school, known as SKIT.

Pulitzer was played by senior Peter Cantilina, who is also a part of Del Val’s marching band. 

The role of Katherine “Plumber” Pulitzer was split between senior Swara Modi and junior Jessica McGothlin. Katherine is the daughter of Pulitzer, but went undercover behind her father’s back to write about the newsies’ strike.

The musical was carefully thought out, and the roles seemed to fit the actors perfectly. The dearly loved role of Crutchy went to senior Owen LaRue, and Miss Medda was played by sophomore Farrah Roberson.

The show was two and half hours long, with a 15 minute intermission in between the first and second act. Snacks were sold outside, as well as flowers and candy grams to send to the actors. 

The “Newsies” cast handed out special edition printed “Delphi” issues before each performance. (Sadie Swanson)

The backdrop for the show was made to make it seem like the streets of New York, Pulitzer’s office or inside an old building. 

“The Delphi” published a physical newspaper with interviews of the characters to give out at the show. The papers were free, but donations were greatly appreciated.

The choreography of the musical, which was coached by Dakota Krouse and Jocelyn Denne, was amazing. Backflips were preformed by Alex Apgar and Bryan Sozanski, as well as trio dances with Jocelyn Denne, Briana Kraucheunas and Lila Pfefferle.

The transitions between each scene were smooth, and it moved at a nice pace. Both Act 1 and Act 2 were equally the same length, packed with songs, dancing and emotion.

“Newsies” sold out its entire second weekend run and was well received by all audiences.

View Comments (1)
$205
$2000