Looking ahead at the Stanley Cup 2024

Sadie Swanson
The puck drops this weekend for the Stanley Cup finals.

The Stanley Cup playoffs have been around since 1893, and the 108th champion will be crowned this summer. 

The first game is set to start on Saturday, April 20. These games were moved up two days for reasons unstated. 

The teams that are currently in the playoffs are the Boston Bruins, Florida Panthers, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Carolina Hurricanes, New York Islanders, Tampa Bay Lightning, Dallas Stars, Winnipeg Jets, Colorado Avalanche, Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, Nashville Predators and the Vegas Golden Knights.

The New York Rangers have had an amazing season and won the President’s Trophy for this season. The president’s award is presented to the team that finishes with the most points in the regular season. This is the fourth time the New York Rangers have won this award. 

Some of the teams that have a good chance at making it far into the playoffs are the New York Rangers and the Vancouver Canucks. The Rangers, as stated above, have had an amazing season, finishing off with 114 points, 55 wins and only 23 losses. 

The Canucks had a season of 107 points, 50 wins and 22 losses. Captain Quinn Hughes helped lead his team to victory multiple times, with 91 points and 17 personal goals. As a defenseman, he had a strong shooting season. 

As a Devils fan, their elimination hit hard, but there’s always next season.

I do wish that teams like the Chicago Blackhawks had better luck, just to be able to see rookie Connor Bedard play and see how he does under the pressure of winning the cup as a rookie.