Del Val’s winter musical “Newsies” is cast

Rick Epstein
The musical cast is in rehearsal for its upcoming performances of “Newsies.”

Musical season is in full swing as Del Val students gear up to perform their production of the Broadway hit “Newsies.”

Director Clinton Ambs is excited for this year’s cast and what they have to bring to the table.

“We have an exceptionally talented cast,” said Ambs. “The electricity about this show is strong and genuine, and the cast is really excited.”

This year’s musical requires hard work, effort and plenty of dance moves. Choreographer Heather Fleischman is looking forward to seeing how the cast comes together to create fun-filled dance routines.

We have an exceptionally talented cast. The electricity about this show is strong and genuine, and the cast is really excited.”

— Clint Ambs

“I’m very excited for the dance rehearsals to begin,” said Fleischman. “The rehearsal process will be intense, but the students cast in our show are hard workers, and I know they will put in the time to practice and work on many of the new skills they need to master for this particular production. Between myself, assistant choreographer Jocelyn Denne and dance captain Dakota Krouse, I am confident that we will guide the cast to where they need to be for opening night.”

The students were anxious for the cast list to be released, especially the leads.

Senior Dakota Krouse was cast to play the leading man Jack Kelly.

“I was in my dream role and after years of work and preparation, I was going to sing ‘Santa Fe’ on the Del Val stage and finally fulfill my seventh grade self’s dream,” said Krouse. “The first read-through left me with tears in the middle of ‘Carrying the Banner’ because it was real, it was happening. I am Jack Kelly.”

Senior Aidan O’Connell seconds Krouse’s excitement as he plays the role of Jack Kelly’s right-hand man Davey.

“When I first found out that I was cast as Davey, I could barely believe it,” said O’Connell. “It was only when I finally met up with my fellow cast members that I really accepted the fact that I was going to be Davey, and I’m still so excited.”

The show would not be complete without its leading lady, Katherine Plumber. Junior Jessica McGlothlin and senior Swara Modi are excited to both be given the opportunity to perform in this role.

“Katherine has been a dream role of mine since the very first time I saw ‘Newsies’ as a kid and to have the opportunity to bring her to life on stage is beyond exciting,” said McGlothlin. “I truly can’t wait to create this character and this show!”

Cast list for “Newsies” (Clint Ambs)

Modi seconds McGlothlin’s excitement.

“When I found out I got the role of Katherine, it felt like a dream come true,” said Modi. “It has been one of my dream roles since freshman year, and to be able to play it my senior year, I was thrilled to say the least.”

The stage will be managed by two of Del Val’s juniors, Lia McNamara and Adrienne Wolfram. They will make sure that everyone is at every rehearsal and make sure that things are going smoothly behind the scenes.

“I am extremely excited to be a stage manager in this year’s musical,” said Wolfram. “I have done crew since I was a freshman and acted in the fall plays, so I would say by now I know both positions pretty well, but there are many stage manager tasks that are new to me. Nevertheless, I am very excited to be a part of such an amazing production.”

Fellow stage manager, Lia McNamara, contributes more excitement to this leadership position.

“I’m so excited to get to work with everyone,” said McNamara. “It’s going to be cool to see everything come together in the next couple of months.”

“Newsies” will open on Feb. 29, 2024 and run through March 9.