The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

“Wonka:” a magical origin story

Warner Bros. Pictures
Timothée Chalamet provides an incredible, optimistic performance in this musical origin story.

The newly released movie musical “Wonka” is a must see prequel of the life of Willy Wonka that brings viewers to a land of dreams, magic and chocolate.

The film follows a young Willy Wonka, setting out to fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming a chocolatier. He has high hopes to share his creations with the world and bring pure joy to everyone through a sweet treat. He is met with some issues along the way as well as some unexpected friends. 

Fans might not expect to see Timothee Chalamet (Willy Wonka) star in this genre of film, as he tends to stay in the realm of drama. However, he did phenomenally in the role. I was not expecting him to be a good singer or dancer, but I was pleasantly surprised. Chalamet brought the songs to life and made each production feel magical. He performed the classic Wonka mannerisms, previously portrayed by Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp, while still bringing his own flair to the character. 

Calah Lane and Timothée Chalamet lead the cast of “Wonka” on a fun, musical prequel to the beloved “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” (Warner Bros. Pictures)

In comparison to previous Wonkas, Chalamet’s acting was more tailored to young children. Many people find the Johnny Depp adaptation to be off-putting and almost disturbing, and the Gene Wilder version can be seen as somewhat scary.  However, in this film, Wonka was a positive, hopeful young man who saw the good in everything. A fan theory proposed that Chalamet’s character wasn’t like the previous Wonka’s because he was still young and didn’t think everyone was out to steal his recipe from him. I found that to be an interesting take on Wonka and very possible. 

As for Calah Lane, who made her debut as Noodle, her performance was outstanding. She is still young and has a lot to learn, but she made a big impression with her first major role.

Hugh Grant as an Oompa Loompa was also a shock, but he played the whimsical creature well. He had the perfect attitude and sass while remaining lovable.

Production designer Nathan Crowley brought the world of Wonka to life. He set the tone for different scenes through color and setting. At the Bleachers’ home (the graceless and villainous homestead owners), the colors were dull and the building was rundown and dirty. These choices symbolized how the place was more of a prison than a home and set a discouraging tone. To bring an optimistic mood to viewers, the set in Wonka’s chocolate shop was colorful and elaborate in design. 

The costumes designed by Lindy Hemming worked in perfect coordination with the characters’ personalities and the film’s mood. Wonka’s signature coat color of purple is symbolic of his creativity, mystery and magic. Arthur Slugworth, the main antagonist, is always seen wearing blue, representing his desire for infinite power, the cold and sadness, perfectly representing his plain personality and chocolate.

This poll has ended.

Who played Willy Wonka the best?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The film asks viewers to always see the positives in bad situations. Wonka is an optimistic person who never gives up, even when there was seemingly no way to get out of a situation. However, he encouraged everyone around him to keep going and that there is always hope, no matter how dire things appear.

“Wonka” is a must-see and worth the money and time to see it on the big screen. It is entertaining for all ages with the bright colors and magic for kids while also throwing in some jokes tailored to the adults. This is a five star film that deserves multiple views.