The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

Recent Results
Upcoming Games
Select a Sport
Delaware Valley Regional High School
North Hunterdon
May 16 /4:00pm / Lacrosse
Delaware Valley Regional High School
Pingry
May 16 / Baseball
Delaware Valley Regional High School
Hackettstown
May 17 / Baseball
Poll

What is your favorite winter sport?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs are over, and hockey fans are one step closer to the a new champion.
First round Stanley Cup playoffs
Sadie Swanson, Features Editor • May 15, 2024
Delaware Valley celebrates a remarkable senior night with an excellent send off.
Slideshow: scenes from boys lacrosse senior night
Owen Keane, Reporter • May 8, 2024

Del Val welcomes new hobby horse team

Abby Eckert
In the 2024-2025 school year, Del Val will be offering hobby horse as a new sport for students to partake in.

For the 2024-2025 school year, Delaware Valley Regional High School has announced the welcoming of a new hobby horse team. Groups of students have been attending board meetings over the past year in attempts to make this dream a reality. 

“We really wanted a sport where you could truly feel like the animals that we are,” Emma Moore said. “None of the other sports here really gave us that.”

With this new team, students will be able to feel closer to their natural instincts. Many feel it will be beneficial to those who participate. Hobby horsing allows for people to show off their creativity and skills in the subject, especially during competitions. It reflects horseback riding competitions without using an actual horse.

“I think it will be really beneficial to the students,” Olivia Lee said. “It gives them an opportunity to be who they truly are deep down.”

Some are in disagreement with the team. They argue that the school should be spending time and money on a different sport. Many argued that the school should have brought on a toe wrestling team instead.

“I think the students would have benefited more from a toe wrestling team,” Liam Thomas said. “They would be able to carry and utilize these skills for a lifetime.”

For the most part, the district is in unison with the excitement for the new hobby horse team. Many students are excited to play and compete in the upcoming fall and spring seasons.

“I’m so excited that we are having such a diverse sport,” Mary Martin said. “I, myself, love horses.”

Tryouts will be held on Sept. 9 for the fall and Mar. 11 for the spring. Each of them will be BYOH (bring your own horsey). There are both girls’ and boys’ divisions, and each will have JV and varsity teams. They are both still looking for a coach, and all are welcome to apply. 

Apply Now!