The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

“Ricky Stanicky”

Is he really fake?
Amazon’s newest comedy features some familiar faces in some unfamiliar roles. (Photo via Amazon Prime Video)

Prime Video’s newest release, “Ricky Stanicky” is a must watch movie that is filled with growth, brotherhood and hilarious jokes.

The film captures the lives of three, or arguably four, men who have been best friends since they were young.

Whenever their immature behavior got them into trouble, they used the alibi “Ricky Stanicky” to get them out of it, although Stanicky was never actually a real person. As they grew older and started to care for their own families, every now and then, “Ricky Stanicky” would call in need of something, when in reality, the guys just needed to go on an adventure together behind their partners’ backs.

As suspicions rise, they hire Rod, played by John Cena, to act as Stanicky to prove that he is real. Zac Efron stars as Dean, alongside Andrew Santino as JT and Jermaine Fowler as Wes to make up the longtime trio.

I was looking forward to watching Efron’s acting in this movie, but it was mediocre, just as the other two actors’, but it worked because they fit their characters’ roles.

However, Cena’s acting as Rod/Stanicky was exceptional. He managed to embody both characters he played thoroughly, even bringing an emotional aspect to Stanicky’s character, making the audience feel for him. Going into the movie, I did not know what to expect of Cena as an actor, but he was truly remarkable. 

As Rod grew into the role of Stanicky in everyday life, the movie grasped the theme of second chances. He showed how it is possible for anyone to change who they are, but also to turn his life around when given a chance to start fresh.

I found this quite interesting as I did not expect a life lesson to come out of this R-rated comedy. Even though this movie is slightly immature, the character growth is evident and Rod’s growth is admirable. 

As this movie is classified as a comedy and had promising humor in the trailer, I did not catch myself laughing out loud often. I felt that some jokes came across as weird rather than funny.

For those looking for a sentimental, emotional movie that is appropriate for all ages, this might not be the movie for you. I felt that most of the dialogue was unrealistic and overly profane.

However, the movie does incorporate a full-circle story of brotherhood, shows how people struggling have the ability to change and makes the audience laugh.

It can be viewed for free on Prime Video with a run time of just under two hours. I encourage teens and adults who are looking for an upbeat comedy with an underlying theme to watch it.