Homecoming king and queen announced

Brian Smith

Del Val’s 2022 Homecoming Court posed for cameras before the game.

Sara Matthews, Multimedia Editor

Del Val’s Homecoming King and Queen were honored, along with the rest of the Homecoming Court, before Friday, Oct. 7’s Homecoming football game against South River.

New principal, Michael Kays, was on the field to watch his first Homecoming Court presentation as principal of Del Val.

“I am so excited to see what it is all about here. I’ve heard a lot of great things,” said Kays.

This year, Del Val honored 8 candidates, 4 girls and 4 boys, who were voted on throughout the week. 

Business teacher, Mr. Webster, announced the Homecoming Court as the students walked across the football field with their families, sharing a look into each candidate’s life. 

For the potential queens, first was Julia Hasson. Hasson is a member of Best Buddies, and she plans to pursue business in college. In her early years of high school, she was on the cheer team.

Three sport athlete Kate Johnson was next. Johnson has played soccer, basketball and track and field all 4 years of high school. Aside from sports, Johnson is actively part of Peer Leaders, SADD and SAFE clubs, as well as a host for DVTV. She wishes to study psychiatric nursing at the University of Connecticut. 

Next up was Adriana Rosato. She is a 4-year volleyball player who also participates in Best Buddies. She plans to study pre-law in college. 

Lastly was Rori Swanson. Swanson participates in soccer, basketball, track and field, and Best Buddies. She plans on continuing her education in cosmetology after high school. 

First for the Homecoming King nominations was Francis Alfano. He is a 2-year football and basketball player at Del Val. He plans on going to Centenary University to study radiology and play basketball. 

Next was Ryan Neal. He is a football and lacrosse player and is also involved with the Unified Basketball program. Neal plans on going to college to study business and play lacrosse. 

Third was Declan Snyder. He’s a 3-sport athlete on the soccer, wrestling and golf teams. Snyder plans on going to college to study the medical field.

The final nominee was football quarterback, Jack Bill. Bill also plays lacrosse and participates in Best Buddies. Next year, he plans to further his lacrosse career at Muhlenberg College. 

As per Del Val tradition, each member of the court received a wrapped rose. Six out of eight roses are white, while the other two open up a red rose and receive the crown and tiara.

Once the roses were unwrapped, Jack Bill and Rori Swanson were revealed as the 2022 Homecoming King and Queen.

“I actually was really surprised. I had some good competition, and I was really shocked” said Swanson.