Midnight. Sharp.

Swara Modi, The Delphi Staff

On October 21 at midnight — sharp, Taylor Swift released her new album, “Midnights,” and her fans were thrilled.

For 13 nights previous to the drop, Swift had been releasing the title of each one of the 13 tracks, along with subtle easter eggs on the album pre-drop.

After speaking with some local “Swifties,” some fan favorites of the album include “Anti-Hero,” “Midnight Rain” and “You’re On Your Own, Kid.” At first, fans were surprised with the album when the visual aesthetic was unique to the rest of her albums, but they determined it was a good mix between her past albums ‘Lover,’ ‘1989’ and ‘Reputation.’

Like many fans, as soon as the clock ticked midnight, I started listening to the album. The first song of the album, ‘Lavender Haze,’ surprised me at first listen. The sound was very different from her other albums, which seems to be a common trend between Swift’s past albums. The song showed off her voice from hitting low, alto notes to providing a light, airy tone in the higher notes.

“I thought the song would be more lyrical rather than poppy,” said Delaware Valley junior, Grace English. “So, when I first listened to it, I was taken off guard so it affected how I felt about the rest of the album.”

The stylistic choices made in the song were unique, however, the song grew on me after a second listen and has become a part of my top three songs from the album.

Another unique track “You’re On Your Own, Kid.” Personally, I am drawn toward songs with meaningful lyrics, and this song resonated with both myself and other lyric-listeners. “…People can interpret this song in multiple different ways to relate to their own life and experiences (between growing up, breakups, etc.)” said North Hunterdon sophomore, Lauren Stowers.

Lyrically, the song tells a detailed story on an emotional topic, however, the instrumental aspect sometimes overtakes the meaningfulness of the lyrics; it almost hides the emotional significance of the song and, instead, plays with the music aspect more.

On ‘Midnight Rain,’ Swift pulls a similar stunt regarding the appearance of lyrical and musical elements. The song has a soothing beat and melody, along with a topic on romanticizing pain because that is all the characters have ever known, which resonates with many listeners. However, this topic works well with the upbeat instrumentals because it symbolized that the storyteller of the song had accepted her fate with pain, and therefore makes it into something more — a song.

“I think there is something to be said for [Swift’s] ability to write and tell a great story in just three minutes, which is what she does in ‘Midnight Rain,’” said Delaware Valley sophomore, Jessica McGlothlin.

Expressing such complex ideas in such a short amount of time is clearly a talent. The song is truly a work of art and is by far my favorite song from the album.

Swift branched into a new aesthetic of music and created yet another classic album that will definitely be playing on repeat. It is unique to her other albums and is lyrically one of her best works.

‘Midnights’ is recommended for listeners who like upbeat music and prefer Swift albums like ‘Lover,’ ‘1989’ or ‘Reputation’ over ‘RED,’ ‘Folklore’ or ‘Evermore.’