Del Val’s first Career Talk Tuesday

Brian Smith

Representatives from Hunterdon Medical Center spoke to students about the medical profession in The Commons.

On Tuesday Nov. 29, Delaware Valley Regional High School held its first Career Talk Tuesday in The Commons.

This is the start of a monthly event series, taking place every last Tuesday, leading up to the career fair in the spring. The career talks will cover a wide variety of career fields, mostly targeting the jobs of the different academies at Del Val.

The first Career Talk Tuesday welcomed representatives from different branches of careers in health sciences from Hunterdon Medical Center. After the presentation, the speakers held a mini job fair during unit lunch.

Del Val junior Mia Franzo attended the career talk and was thrilled with how much she learned.

“The career talk was very informational, and I learned a lot about being a nurse and the different types of careers in the field of health sciences,” said Franzo.

Students were allowed to ask questions and were informed of all the opportunities that would enable them to be immersed in the job’s setting.

The Supervisor of School Counseling at Del Val, Kristina Sterbenc, shared that the reason she introduced Career Talk Tuesday was because of the hesitancy of students to interact with career representatives in the traditional career fair format.

For future Career Talk Tuesdays, Sterbenc hopes to have representatives from industries like engineering and various trades.

Career Talk Tuesdays allow for a more concentrated focus on different career fields. Any student at Del Val is encouraged to attend the career talks. All that is required is a permission slip signed by a parent or guardian, which can be found in the counseling office.