NHS blood drive saves lives

Gihon Warren

The Red Cross arrived early in the morning to help Del Val’s NHS sponsor the blood drive.

Gihon Warren, The Delphi Staff

Delaware Valley Regional High School hosted its second blood drive of the year on March 21, 2023.

The blood drive is an annual event run by the National Honor Society advisors and student volunteers.

The event was held in The Hutch gym, and with the help from the American Red Cross, Del Val’s NHS was able to collect 33 donations and eight power red donations for people in need.

The first blood drive was held on Nov. 16, 2022, and was extremely successful.

The Red Cross provided all the phlebotomists to take the donations, and for those who may be scared to donate, they are trained to help you stay calm.

The NHS students work hard each year to run these events, and although they always run smoothly, NHS is always looking for more donors.

If you’re 16 or older, you can sign up for the next blood drive with parental permission. All you have to do is fill out all of the paperwork and turn it in on time. With the community’s help, these blood drives can save countless lives.

“It helps out lots of people in situations,” said NHS co-advisor Lisa Cartwright. “Donating blood is a great service because it helps cancer patients, it helps out with critical illnesses and all types of blood is always needed.”