Del Val football finale

@delvalfootball

The 2019 Delaware Valley Regional High School Terriers Football Team

Jack Markowski, The Delphi Editor

After losing a lot of talent on both sides of the ball due to graduation, the Del Val Terriers 2019 season came with skepticism, as many wondered if they would be able to replicate their long-lasting success with a bunch of new faces as starters on both sides of the ball.

As it turned out, they would have their most successful regular season since 2015 and would exceed all expectations on both sides of the ball. Following the loss of a majority of the team’s defensive starters, this season looked to be a developmental year for the Terriers defense. However, they allowed over 20 points only once during the regular season, including against Hillside, who runs one of the most dynamic offenses in the state and saw its lowest point total of the season come at the hands of Del Val.

The Terriers scored three defensive touchdowns on the year, all of them being pick-sixes by Justin Carney, Logan Blake and Tylor Blake. Ayden Thomas led the team in sacks with 3.5, while Nathan Saccal added 49 tackles and a forced fumble. Nick Moose forced a team-high 5 fumbles, and Ryan Sutter added a sack and 39 tackles. The team will lose Moose, Sutter, T. Blake, Thomas and Carney to graduation, but there is still plenty of optimism for next year’s defense, as top contributors such as Saccal, Jaden Corbin, Jack Phillips, Tyler Holzworth and Logan Blake will look to anchor the unit.

The Terriers scored 41 points in the first half of their first game against St. Thomas Aquinas on the backs of Justin Carney and Tylor Blake, who scored 3 rushing touchdowns each and never looked back. Del Val scored under 35 points only 3 times during the regular season as they successfully balanced their rushing and passing games to form a dynamic unit that kept their opponents guessing. Tylor Blake scored either a passing or rushing touchdown in every game and finished with 1,222 passing yards to go with 13 TDs, while he also added 499 yards and 10 TDs on the ground.

Tyler Holzworth was Blake’s top receiver, as he led the team in both receptions (40) and yards (580) while scoring 4 TDs. Logan Blake led the team in receiving TDs with 6 while also catching 24 passes for 300 yards, and Justin Carney, Matt Murray and Nic DeMarco all hauled in TD passes as well.

Justin Carney was a force on the ground as well, finishing the year with 512 yards and 8 TDs, and he also made his mark on the special teams unit, converting 35 of his 36 PAT attempts. While Tylor Blake, Justin Carney and starting offensive linemen Nick Moose and Ryan Sutger will be gone next fall due to graduation, the offense, much like the defense, has plenty to be excited about, as they will return impact players such as Logan Blake, Tyler Holzworth, Jaden Corbin, Nate Saccal and Jack Phillips. The teams also has some exciting talent at both the junior varsity and freshman levels.

The season didn’t end as hoped for the Terriers, as they lost at the hands of Bernards in the first round of the Central Group 2 NJSIAA playoffs after having lost to them during the regular season as well. However, the team finished over .500 for the first time in four seasons and played above expectations on both sides of the ball. Congratulations to the team on a great season, and we’re already excited for 2020.