Del Val marching band’s 2021 season

Brian Smith

The 2021 Golden Regiment Marching Band is “small but mighty” according to director Mr. Hayden.

Del Val’s marching band has been having a strong season in 2021.

Marching band director, Thomas Hayden, describes this year’s band as “small but mighty.” This past weekend, they even took home the caption for Best Music by a fairly large margin in a pool of 6 bands. The band sounds amazing, considering since one-third of the band is in 8th grade.

The band’s leadership consists of Drum Major Baylee Foreman, Hornline captains Holden Hutchinson and Keira Vogel and Percussion Captain Hannah Fey.

Del Val is preparing for States and Nationals, and the band is ready to take on rivals Hackettstown and Weehawken.

On the other hand, Del Val has an even greater motivation to compete against longtime rival, Voorhees, and is looking for a victory.

Del Val came into this season with known challenges, like the level of music that could be performed by such a small group. Without having any students signed up for color guard, Mr. Hayden and Mr. McPherson had to plan around the issue. When the directors needed students to step up and take a bigger role, they had no problem finding someone to do so. The band has already been doing a great job this year, but it is working to finish these last weeks even stronger.

Foreman said, “I would like to add that I, as junior Drum Major, am extraordinarily proud of the band as a whole, and can’t wait to continue on with my music journey.”

The band’s main goal is to finish the season with high scores, and ensure the students had a fun time and get the recognition they deserve.

“These last two performances, each having many bands in our group, will also give us some indication about where we truly stand in comparison with other schools. It will give Mr. Hayden and me an understanding of what direction we might take the band next year,” McPherson said.

Del Val is performing a good show and clearly they are interested in conveying their joy to the audience. In 2022 and 2023, the band will have a special group of talented musicians that will be able to produce outstanding music.

“The band is doing great…. Every week we get comments along the lines of, ‘I saw you and expected a small band sound, but you don’t sound like a small band,'” Hayden said.

The Golden Regiment has had a great season and the band has grown very close. The band has had such a great season that, no matter how the season ends, it would be impossible to look back on the season without anything other than great memories.

The marching band will compete in USBands New Jersey A Class State Championships on Saturday,  Oct. 30 at Union High School and USBands National Championships A Class on Saturday, Nov. 6 in Allentown, PA.

If you are interested in joining the marching band for next season, be sure to contact Mr. Hayden.

“Our program is growing. Don’t you want to be part of the fun next year?” Hayden asked.