Downsides of turf fields

Jack Hancsin

Del Val has been the last high school in Hunterdon County to hold onto its grass football field.

Jack Hancsin, The Delphi Staff

Turf fields may look nice, but they are truly a lesser option when compared to grass fields. Turf fields may have positive aspects, but just as importantly, they have major negative effects

The average turf football field ranges in price from $640,000 to $2,000,000. To transition from grass to turf is a big expense. It may not be the best investment, as 73% of NFL players prefer grass fields over turf ones. This investment could also be spent on clubs or events. 

The little black crumbs found on turf fields are tiny pieces of tires. Tires are classified as municipal waste, meaning that it is disposed of every day.

The EPA is currently conducting research into the question of toxicity of crumb rubber, but the jury is still out. The EPA points out that tires contain toxins. Tires are already proven to contain established carcinogens, which are materials that cause cancer and diseases.

Turf fields can also reach a high temperature of 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Turf, at this temperature, has been proven to rarely burn athletes feet, and to prevent burns, schools need to spray these fields with water to regulate the temperature. Spraying the field only regulates the temperature for 20 minutes at a time. 

Fans of Del Val football have watched the team play on grass for as long as the school has been open. (@delvalfb)

Turf is installed on top of concrete or compacted earth materials. When playing over concrete, it increases the rate of injuries such as concussions, torn ACLs and sprained ankles. Injuries like these more commonly occur on turf fields than on  grass fields.

Weeds can also grow in the turf, which requires weed killer to be applied to the field. This is a major health concern, as people don’t want to be playing football and rolling around in weed killer, which has to be applied almost weekly.

Turf can also be treated with biocides that destroy any kind of living things growing in them. Turf has been associated with increased risk of infections from Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus. MRSA is a dangerous infection because it is resistant to many antibiotics. It can lead to pneumonia, sepsis and bloodstream infections that can be fatal. A MRSA infection can happen after skin is scraped or cut, which can occur from sliding on artificial turf.

Turf fields can be detrimental due to their price, construction, temperature and carcinogens.