The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

M3GAN: a technological horror

Photo via Universal Pictures

After seeing countdowns across social media for months, the horror movie ‘M3GAN’ arrived and did not disappoint.

Most people know it as the movie with the “dancing doll,” but this film is multidimensional, inflicting emotions of fear, sadness and humor scene by scene.

This film has an interesting concept, with a realistic animatronic doll designed to be a lifelong friend, only to turn into everyone’s worst enemy. In today’s world, society is dependent on technology, so creating a technology-based horror film is a fresh and modern idea.

Overall, the plot gets repetitive at times, as the main character, Cady’s, only friend is the robotic doll M3GAN. However, the addition of characters through her aunt’s work brings more dynamic plot elements to the film.

Aside from the horror, this film evokes multiple emotional responses. The subject of loss is continuously touched on, and there is an underlying message of loss throughout the film.

There is a fair sense of humor to break up the darkness, like the repeated comment, “Cady, seriously, flush the toilet,” but the humor does not distract from the commentary, which is tastefully done, keeping to the film’s eerie theme.

The graphics are excellent, and the film has a futuristic, crisp appearance. The features of M3GAN are creepily detailed and look as if she could walk right out of the screen.

The ending is satisfying and clean cut, but it still leaves room for a sequel. I highly recommend watching, but afterwards you might not be as keen on going down the toy aisle in Target….