The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

Del Val to hold Hoops for Hunger fundraiser

Del Val will hold Hoops for Hunger as a revival of its old fundraiser, Hoops for Heart.
Emma Haig

On Thursday, Feb. 15, Del Val will host its first Hoops for Hunger in the Hutch Gym. The round-robin style games will run through first and second block, with the finals taking place during the second half of Unit Lunch.

Key Club is selling Hoops for Hunger shirts outside of the cafeteria during Unit Lunch to support local food pantries. (Photo courtesy of Key Club)

Participants of any kind; players, team coaches and volunteers; must raise $30 in donations per person in order to take part in the activities.

This money, along with a permission slip signed by your block 1 and 2 teachers, are due Thursday, Feb. 8. See any gym teacher to pick up a permission slip.

All proceeds of this event will be donated to the Frenchtown and Milford food pantries. 

“We want to help restock them [the food pantries] after the holidays,” said PE teacher and organizer Marty White. 

Additionally, nonperishable food items will be collected in block 1 classes the day of the fundraiser. The first block class that collects the most items will win a free Dunkin’ Donuts breakfast.

Dressing up and having a theme for your team is encouraged. It helps make the day even more spirited. Key Club and Del Val Unified began selling white “Hoops For Hunger” t-shirts on Monday during Unit Lunch for $15. They will continue through the rest of this week.

Any student that participates in the event, raises $30, buys a t-shirt and donates a nonperishable food item will receive a “Free Gym” pass. A pass allows students to come into gym for one day and sit on the side without it affecting their grade.

We are hoping to make people aware of the need for food banks, and we want our students to be lifelong people who give back to the community.

— Marty White

The games in the round-robin will be three-on-three and six minutes each. The Physical Education department says that around six-person teams are ideal.

They also encourage participants to get involved and enjoy the day. Their goal is to bring everyone together, united with a common cause and have some fun. 

“We are hoping to make people aware of the need for food banks, and we want our students to be lifelong people who give back to the community,” said White.

Make sure to bring in your permission slip and donation by Feb. 8 to be able to participate in the festivities, which will count as an excused absence from your first and second block classes.