The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

Quiz

What flower are you?

There was an error. Please try again.

6 Total Questions

Recent Results
Select a Sport
Delaware Valley Regional High School
5
Bernards
0
Apr 30 / Baseball
Delaware Valley Regional High School
10
North Warren Regional
0
Apr 27 / Baseball
Delaware Valley Regional High School
6
Gill St.Bernard's School
6
Apr 24 / Baseball

Ryan Murphy: Del Val’s teacher of the year

Ella Genovese
Teacher, Ryan Murphy, teaching his Computer Science class.

Math teacher Ryan Murphy was just awarded Teacher of the Year at Del Val.

Murphy, who has taught at Del Val for all 11 years of his career, is teaching AP Statistics, Honors Geometry, Academic Algebra II and AP Computer Science Principles. He has also taught CP Algebra II and Discrete Math, an elective that no longer exists.

Murphy co-advises Students Advocating for Equality with counselor Ashley Miranda, and he also runs SAT prep sessions.

In 2021, Murphy and his AP Statistics students uncovered a pyramid scheme.

“Back in 2021, when my stats students and I dug into a ‘financial opportunity’ that an acquaintance tried to rope me into…we did a brief exploration of the data that basically exposed the whole thing as a pyramid scheme,” Murphy said. “It was particularly memorable because the students so capably applied their stats skills in an authentic way that was very entertaining for them. It was also during the pinnacle of the coronavirus pandemic, so seeing the students engaged, laughing and demonstrating what they’ve learned on something so real and audacious was a much-needed heartwarming experience. I was very proud of them.”

Murphy pursued math education because it was fun for him and because he enjoyed solving puzzles, something he could see himself doing happily for the rest of his life. He believes it is a privilege to be important in many of his students’ lives.

“Honestly, it’s a privilege to be something of an influential figure in the lives of my students, and it’s a duty that I feel obligated to take seriously and let guide my every decision,” Murphy said.

In his free time, Murphy plays video games, has got back into drumming and “…recently set a benching personal record of 250 pounds.”

“I would just say that Murphy has genuinely been one of the most impactful teachers to me in this school,” junior Kacey Burd said. “He helped me love math in a way that I have not before, nor since I have taken his class, and build confidence in a subject I always had a hard time in. Further, working with him personally in clubs has been an even greater experience as he’s a wonderful advisor that has always aided me in achieving my goals with our club!”

“Del Val is the only school at which I’ve ever taught,” Murphy said. “I feel like I’ve either learned from, or learned with, my colleagues and my community. Being named as Educator of the Year must mean I’m doing something right, so I attribute my successes to being a product of a great environment. I’m honored to have received this recognition and thankful to be here within a community about which I care dearly,” Murphy said.