Del Val volleyball repeats as sectional champions

@delvalvolleyball

Del Val’s volleyball team won this year’s South Group 1 Sectional Championship.

Abigail Bivona, The Delphi Staff

The girls Volleyball team had a very successful season, finishing with a record of 20-4 and a sectional title, winning its Group 1 South Sectional game in two impressive sets.

“We won the sectional title because of the mixture of talent. We never relied on one or two players to pull the team to victory. Instead, we had a well-rounded group of starters and a talented bench,” Miss Fleming, Volleyball head coach, said.

“Our setter was able to spread the ball around and keep the other teams on their toes. This was also a long-term goal for many of our senior players, so I knew they would do whatever it takes to get that win! Having won a sectional title last year helped our confidence to know we could do it again,” Fleming said.

After winning the sectional title for the second year in a row, the team moved onto the Group 1 State Semifinal game. After winning that game in another two sets, the team walked onto the court for the State Finals game for the first time in Del Val history, which was held at William Paterson University.

“I think the season went so incredibly well. The team came out strong from the start and immediately started building a rapport on the court. From tryouts to finals, it went smoothly,” Fleming said. “It was truly a remarkable season with hitting new milestones including the quarter-final round of Hunterdon-Warren-Sussex, the group finals, and becoming co-champions of the conference.”

Captains Abigail Hayth and Emily Kraynanski helped to lead their teammates to many victories, pushing through the challenges that they faced throughout the season.

Injuries amongst the team caused some of the team’s key players to be out, and shutdowns had to be in place due to COVID. Whilst these issues caused some problems for the team, they were able to keep it together and fight all the way through to a sectional title victory.

“This sectional title just shows how hard we pushed after losing so many key players last year. I think that our hard work paid off, and I’m so glad we could win sectionals again to make it our second,” Hayth said.

As seniors leave the team, they reminisce on the good times that Del Val volleyball brought them.

“Playing at Del Val was an amazing experience I will remember forever. The team was always fun and our coach was so helpful,” Kraynanski said.

To upcoming volleyball players, Miss Fleming says that there is a lot of talent coming through from the freshman and JV programs, but girls in middle school who look forward to playing volleyball in high school should start attending camps or clinics to help them get ready to play.

Hayth also had advice for upcoming players. “Enjoy it while you can because I really never thought it would go by so fast. You only have 4 seasons to play for Del Val, which isn’t a lot, but you have to make the most out of it while you can,” Hayth said. “It’s supposed to be fun, so even if you are losing, try to have fun and just remember how lucky you are to be on such a great team.”

Although this season has come to an end, the 2021-2022 volleyball team brought talent and skill onto the court that will not be forgotten.

“The future of Del Val volleyball is looking very bright! We have been getting better and better as the program grows. As long as players continue to dedicate themselves to the sport and play in the off season, we will continue to make a name for ourselves,” Fleming said.

“Hopefully, our wins at home this post-season proved to students how fun the games can be and that they start coming to watch as well. The team is capable of so much!”