Recent Results
Upcoming Games
Select a Sport
Delaware Valley Regional High School
Mt. St. Mary’s
Apr 27 /10:00 A.M. / Girls Lacrosse
Delaware Valley Regional High School
Nottingham
Apr 27 /10:00 am / Softball
Delaware Valley Regional High School
North Warren Regional
Apr 27 /10:00am / Baseball
Poll

What is your favorite winter sport?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Eagles VS Packers
Touchdown in São Paulo: Eagles launch 2024 NFL season with international flair
Tyler McGuire, Reporter • April 24, 2024
The puck drops this weekend for the Stanley Cup finals.
Looking ahead at the Stanley Cup 2024
Sadie Swanson, Features Editor • April 17, 2024

Hoops for Hunger returns to Del Val

Ellie Lyons
Del Val students put the basketball skills on display at the Fall Pep Rally.

The fundraiser formerly known as Hoops for Heart will be returning to Del Val on Thursday, Feb. 15, 2024 during first and second block. Now renamed Hoops for Hunger, the school’s goal is to raise 10,000 dollars for local food pantries.

Before the pandemic, Hoops of Heart was a popular event which raised money for the American Heart Association. This fundraiser would raise a minimum of 7,000 dollars each year. When it returns to Del Val, the school will donate all proceeds to food banks in the sending districts. This year, Del Val’s goal is to raise 10,000 dollars.

The event is being run by the Physical Education department. There are also several different clubs that will be helping conduct the fundraiser, including Key Club, which will be in charge of food donations, selling tee shirts, and setup. The Peer Leaders will be officiating the games and recording the results, and The Delphi and TV Media will be promoting and covering the event. If your club or organization is interested in helping out, you can get in contact with Mr.White for more information. 

The event will consist of three-on-three basketball games played by staff members and students. Each participant will need to raise a minimum of 30 dollars to be able to play in the round-robin-style tournament. The playoff games will then happen during lunch for students to come and watch. 

The event is taking place in February for a reason.

“We want to help restock them [the food pantries] after the holidays,” says gym teacher Marty White. 

After the holiday season, food bank donations tend to slow down, so if you can, it is a great time to help show support for your local food banks.

If you are interested in participating as an individual, more information will be coming out in the new year. The Physical Education staff is planning to come into classes to explain more about the event during mid-January. 

Hoops for Hunger’s mission is more than just raising money for the food banks. It is also about getting students more involved with their community.

“We are hoping to make people aware of the need for food banks, and we want our students to be life long people who give back to the community,” said White.