The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

Recent Results
Upcoming Games
Select a Sport
Delaware Valley Regional High School
Rutgers Prep
Apr 29 /4:00 P.M. / Girls Lacrosse
Delaware Valley Regional High School
Middlesex
Apr 29 /4:00 pm / Softball
Delaware Valley Regional High School
Belvidere
Apr 30 /4:00 pm / Softball
Poll

What is your favorite winter sport?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Eagles VS Packers
Touchdown in São Paulo: Eagles launch 2024 NFL season with international flair
Tyler McGuire, Reporter • April 24, 2024
The puck drops this weekend for the Stanley Cup finals.
Looking ahead at the Stanley Cup 2024
Sadie Swanson, Features Editor • April 17, 2024

Andy Fitz: Coach of the Year on mat and in classroom

Molly Esposito
Head Coach Andy Fitz has led Del Val to multiple titles throughout his career.

Andy Fitz, head coach of the Del Val wrestling team, was named 2022-2023 State Coach of the Year by the National Federation of  High Schools and the New Jersey Scholastic Coach’s Association.

Fitz has been coaching wrestling at Del Val for 16 successful seasons, where Fitz is also the AP Calculus, Algebra II and engineering teacher.

Growing up, Fitz was always a wrestler. He looks up to his father, who was also the Del Val wrestling coach for 19 years. After graduating from Lehigh University in 1995, he always knew his calling was teaching and coaching.

Mr. Fitz goes above and beyond to try and make his mat a “home” for every single one of his wrestlers. He surrounds the team with a group of assistant coaches who can practically finish each other’s sentences. All of the coaches have one goal: make the best of every moment.

According to Fitz, setting high but achievable goals is the most important thing the team can do. Fitz celebrates every achievement, even if it is small.

“Practices are full of energy,” said Fitz. “The mat is highly intense and quick moving. Everyone brings their best, every time.”

Fitz strives to reach everyone’s potential and get the most out of every team.

“In 2009, we went 15-10. We had three first-year seniors start,” said Fitz. “While we may not have been the ‘best,’ we achieved all we could together…Every single wrestler has a role, on and off the mat. We all put those roles together to create a successful season with amazing team chemistry.”

Fitz believes that teamwork is essential to a successful season, and his wrestlers show that teamwork before every match. (@delvalwrestling)

The team’s chemistry comes alive during matches. During a match, the bench is filled with enthusiasm and over the top energy. From the outside it may look like chaos, but to Fitz and the team, it is organized chemistry.

“We almost never come out flat at a home match,” said Fitz. “We have one of the best home mat advantages, and the whole Del Val body helps with that.”

One of Fitz’s most memorable coaching moments was the 2022 Paulsboro home match. Fitz has a tradition that after every win, they immediately go to the wrestling room and update the win number together. During the Paulsboro match, the stands waited for the wrestlers to update the number, and then gave them the loudest applause.

“I’ve never been a part of anything like that before,” said Fitz. “It was amazing. It felt so good to know that when we win, the whole community is there to celebrate with us.”

The team wins as a team, but it also loses as a team.

“In this program, we’re all in this together,” said Fitz. “Kids can be as good as they want individually, but that doesn’t matter if they can’t work as a team.”

Fitz keeps his wrestlers in line, whether it be in the classroom or in athletics.

“Students who get it done in the classroom, get it done on the mat,” said Fitz.

Mr. Fitz emphasizes the importance of “little stuff,” such as being on time for practice and getting good grades. All of these ‘little things’ will come together and help the team achieve their goals.

As a coach and a teacher, Fitz stresses the importance of togetherness all the time, and look how far that has got him.