Quiz

What flower are you?

There was an error. Please try again.

6 Total Questions

Recent Results
Select a Sport
Delaware Valley Regional High School
18
Gill St. Bernards
2
Apr 23 / Girls Lacrosse
Delaware Valley Regional High School
7
Voorhees
0
Apr 23 / Baseball
Delaware Valley Regional High School
14
Phillipsburg
6
Apr 22 / Lacrosse

Coach Fitz passes father’s school record

Del Val dominated Sectional match
Ella Genovese
Coach Andy Fitz celebrates his school record with his father, and previous record holder, Vince Fitz.

On Feb. 7, 2024, Del Val Terriers wrestling beat the Gulls of Point Pleasant Beach 81-0.

Del Val has won eight of the last ten sectional titles, and this is the third in a row for the team. This win was big for coach Andy Fitz as well, as he set a new school record.

Fitz’s 285 wins is the new school record for a wrestling coach. Vince Fitz, who had held the record until his son passed him, was thrilled for his son.

“Wonderful, it’s as good as it gets,” said Vince Fitz. “I’m the only guy who’s ecstatic to have his record broken.”

Fitz also broke his father’s record at the same school: Del Val.

“I’m real proud of Andy for continuing the 62 year tradition of success here in wrestling,” said Vince Fitz.

Coach Fitz kept his focus on the rest of the season.

• Coach Fitz’s father, Vince Fitz, presented coach with his award in a postgame ceremony.

• This win also marked another Sectional Title win for the Terriers.

• Coach Fitz thanked his coaching staff for helping him along the way after changing the wrestling room number to 857 school wins.

“It’s always all about the kids,” said Fitz. “What happens this week and this year is more important than what happened tonight, but it’s a nice moment for the family. We’ve [the Fitz family] put in a lot of time. We appreciate what Del Val did for us.”

Fitz has been impressed by how his team has been training and preforming, and he emphasized how they need focus on the “now.”

Athletic director Lance Jacobs is extremely proud of Fitz.

“It’s a testament to his hard work, and his work ethic that he has instilled in our student body,” said Jacobs. “I’m happy for him. He puts a lot of time and effort into it.”

View Comments (1)
$205
$2000