The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

Poll

What movie are you most excited for this winter?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Recent Results
Frenchtown, NJ

• 3 AM
    37 °
  • 4 AM
    36 °
  • 5 AM
    35 °
  • 6 AM
    37 °
  • 7 AM
    41 °
  • 8 AM
    44 °
  • 9 AM
    47 °
  • 10 AM
    50 °
  • 11 AM
    53 °
  • 12 PM
    55 °
  • 1 PM
    57 °
  • 2 PM
    57 °
  • 3 PM
    57 °
  • 4 PM
    54 °
  • 5 PM
    50 °
  • 6 PM
    48 °
  • 7 PM
    47 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    46 °
  • 11 PM
    46 °
  • 12 AM
    46 °
  • 1 AM
    46 °
  • 2 AM
    46 °
  • 3 AM
    46 °
April 27
58°/ 35°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
74°/ 43°
Patchy rain nearby
April 29
80°/ 57°
Patchy rain nearby
The movie poster for “Immaculate,” out in theaters March 22.
Immaculate: a review
Brooke Regep, Contributing Writer • April 23, 2024
Amazons newest comedy features some familiar faces in some unfamiliar roles. (Photo via Amazon Prime Video)
"Ricky Stanicky"
Is he really fake?
Linsey Godown, Contributing Writer • April 17, 2024

“Saltburn:” disturbingly beautiful

Warner Bros. Pictures
Barry Keoghan leads this award-nominated cast in this black comedy.

Viewer advisory: The following film features adult content not suitable for all viewers.  Watch this film at your own discretion.

Emerald Fennell’s film “Saltburn” is dark, beautiful, and enticing for every viewer. The saying, “Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer,” holds a whole new meaning throughout this film.

Oliver Quick (Barry Keoghan) meets, and soon becomes obsessed with, Felix Catton (Jacob Elordi) while they both attend Oxford for a year. They become close friends to the point where Oliver is invited to spend the summer with Felix and his family at their grand estate, Saltburn.

The tone of the film is playful, being a sort of satire of the wealth and extravagance the Cattons hold over everyone around them, with a hint of darkness floating in the background which becomes increasingly stronger as the film progresses.

Oliver, who grew up less fortunate than Felix, was fascinated by the idea of having everything he could ever want and more. He actively took each step needed to gain what he always deeply desired, disregarding and working around the consequences that came paired with his actions. It is obvious that Oliver is jealous of Felix, as well as the lifestyle he and his family live. He shows he will do just about anything to experience this life. 

Elordi and Keoghan’s chemistry is on full display in this slow but tense drama. (Warner Bros. Pictures)

As the movie progresses, the truth behind each character is slowly revealed. Each character’s true motives are brought to light in a distinct, unique way. With each new identity and personality revealed, the darkness of the film is able to settle in. From the audience’s point of view, it is clear that Oliver is an expert at reading people like books, always studying everyone around him as a way to keep himself ahead. 

“Saltburn’s” build up feels slow at first, but as things start happening, it becomes clear that the lead up to the chaos enveloping the film has been there the entire time. 

Going in to see “Saltburn,” I had little idea of what it was about, since the trailer gave away such little information. I recommend going into it blind so you are able to fully experience it. Trying to figure out what will happen next adds to the mystery and thrill of the movie. 

The beautiful thing about Finnell’s cinematography is how she is able to turn what would be a disturbing, disgusting scene into something artsy through her camera work, writing and aesthetics. Her use of diverse cinematic techniques, such as camera angles, lighting and framing, all work together to create this enticing storyline.

Erotic, and definitely non-family-friendly scenes, lead to many audible gasps and stunned reactions from the audience. “Saltburn” is a beautiful movie from start to finish. The casting, soundtrack and overall cinematography of the film could not be more perfect. “Saltburn” left me stunned leaving the theaters, it is definitely worth your money and time.