National Honor Society offers free tutoring

Mr. Smith

Senior Shea Cinquemani (left) works with Junior Zeke Stettler (right) as part of the NHS Tutoring Program

Jaclyn Smith, The Delphi Writer

The National Honor Society is one of the many clubs at Del Val, and the club offers a free tutoring service to any student who attends Delaware Valley Regional High School.

The tutoring is completely free and signing up for it is very easy and precise to what each student needs help with in a course.

The first step is to go to the Del Val homepage and then go to the Clubs and Activities drop down to select National Honor Society. From there, click on “Tutoring Requests,” which is on the left side. Then select the link that states “Click here to Submit a Tutoring Request” where a Google form is waiting to be filled out.

The process of filling out the form is very simple. All that has to be filled out is a student’s name, contact info, grade the student is in, courses that the help is wanted in (electives included), available meeting times (which could possibly include times out of school day), available days for those times, and a section to write any questions/concerns the student may have.

After the form is completed, it goes to the National Honor Society’s email address (NHS@dvrhs.k12.nj.us) where it is checked by Mrs. Cartwright or Mrs. Miceli, the club’s advisors. They will then meet with the tutoring committee and the club’s corresponding secretary (who is also in change of the tutoring committee), Keilah Hanley, who sends the request out to NHS students. Hanley then meets with whoever responds back to find out what the needs of the student are before reaching out to set up an appointment.

The tutoring student can also contact the teacher of the course that the student needs tutoring in to understand the specific needs of the student and what they need help with. Generally, the student who is performing the tutoring has already taken the class and has most likely had the teacher of the course previously.

If students have any questions, they can contact Mrs. Cartwright, Mrs. Miceli, or Keilah Hanley.