The Delphi

Summer Enrichment Programs now offered at Del Val

Back to Article
Back to Article

Del Val Art Department

Del Val Art Department

Del Val Art Department

Clare Erwin, The Delphi Editor

With summer rapidly approaching, many are looking to keep active, pick up a new skill, or simply avoid the boredom of those three warm months. That’s why this summer, Delaware Valley Regional High School is now offering several academic, athletic, and elective programs throughout the month of July. Registration is open to middle and high school students, as well as adult members of the community, and varies based upon the class. In addition to Del Val’s sending districts, those from neighboring areas such as Clinton and Bucks County are also able to register.

The Summer Enrichment Program, encouraged by superintendent Mrs. Daria Wasserbach and run by Mrs. Molly Esposito and Mrs. Carolyn Wolsiefer, aims to offer a wide range of interesting workshops that appeal to children, teens, and adults. It developed in response to requests from the parents of students, as well as students themselves, who were seeking more opportunities to partake in courses that interested them but would not fit in their schedules during the academic year.

Additionally, the program enables students to get ahead in areas they may struggle in, such as algebra or essay writing, while preparing them for the upcoming grade, both socially and academically. For example, “Surviving Ninth Grade” is open to all students entering their freshman year and will provide the necessary skills needed to excel during their first year of high school. Similarly, for students preparing to take the SAT, or for those who have already taken it, prep classes are offered to prepare students for the math and verbal portions of the test.

These courses also allow for students to experiment with subject areas that appeal to them, or to get an idea of what what interests them, without the nightly homework and grading system synonymous with the academic school year; however, the program encompasses more than just student exploration. It’s centered around “bringing people in,” explains Mrs. Esposito. “We’re hoping in the future to expand on the adult educational opportunities offered here at Del Val.” At least six of the programs are open to those 18 or older.

Around 15-20 Del Val teachers will be instructing one or more of the summer programs. Among the classes included are Digital Photography, Film Studies (movie musical and science fiction), Introduction to American Sign Language, Creative Writing, Beginners Woodworking, Tennis Skills and Match Play Competition, and more. Additionally, Mr. Ambs, Miss Fleischman, and Miss Severans will be running two Musical Theatre camps, one for middle schoolers (grades 6-8) and one for high schoolers (grades 9-12). The theatre programs will end with a collaborative evening showcase, open to the public, on Friday, July 19th.

Classes will take place at the high school, Monday through Thursday (with the exception of the Theatre program’s production, from July 8th to August 1st. Morning classes will begin at 8 or 9 am, depending on the class, and end at noon for an hour long lunch break. The cafeteria will not be providing food at this time. Afternoon classes will pick up at 1, and end at 3 or 4pm, again, depending on the class.

The deadline for registration is June 14th, the date of graduation for the 2019 school year. However, because each class has a maximum amount of potential seats to be filled, registering sooner is better to ensure registrants receive a spot in the program of their choice.

The price for a class ranges anywhere from $75 to $399, with the Innovative Camp and High School-level Musical Theatre Summer Program being the more expensive courses.

With help from Del Val’s tech department, all information regarding the Summer Enrichment Program can be found online at: https://dvrhs.jumbula.com/#/home

To register, you must sign up, or sign in if you’re an existing member, through the website, and select which classes you would like enroll in.

Any questions or comments registrants may have regarding a specific class can be brought up with the instructor of that class or emailed to summerenrichment@dvrhs.org. The Summer Enrichment Program is open to course suggestions of any kind, so feel free to share any interest or activities that you would like to see develop into a future summer program!

About the Writer
Clare Erwin, The Delphi Editor

Clare is a sophomore at Delaware Valley Regional High School and editor of The Delphi student newspaper. She’s also a member of the award-winning literary...

• Summer Enrichment Programs now offered at Del Val

News

Why ticks make us sick

News

Bring Your Child to Work Day Highlights

News

When blood runs green

Dark History: A Podcast

The Delphi staff learns from professional podcasters

News

Del Val to run its 4th annual Relay for Life

News

S.A.D.D. to host Mario Kart Tournament!

Science

Brain freezes: A pain in the brain

News

Not Even Once: How drugs can destroy you and your loved ones

News

Spring play cast partakes in roadside clean-up

News

Environmental Club helps keep Del Val green

The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School