Poll

How often do you check "The Delphi?"

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Local Weather

• 10 PM
    47 °
  • 11 PM
    46 °
  • 12 AM
    46 °
  • 1 AM
    47 °
  • 2 AM
    47 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
  • 4 AM
    44 °
  • 5 AM
    44 °
  • 6 AM
    45 °
  • 7 AM
    48 °
  • 8 AM
    51 °
  • 9 AM
    55 °
  • 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    64 °
  • 12 PM
    67 °
  • 1 PM
    70 °
  • 2 PM
    73 °
  • 3 PM
    74 °
  • 4 PM
    75 °
  • 5 PM
    74 °
  • 6 PM
    71 °
  • 7 PM
    67 °
  • 8 PM
    65 °
  • 9 PM
    63 °
  • 10 PM
    62 °
April 27
56°/ 36°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
76°/ 43°
Patchy rain nearby
April 29
80°/ 57°
Patchy rain nearby

John Halligan inspires Del Val

Ella Genovese
Blue and purple are the colors for suicide prevention, and orange is the color for bullying prevention.

On November 21, 2023 Del Val welcomed John Halligan to speak to the students about bullying and suicide.

“The Delphi” sat down with Halligan to discuss his story.

John Halligan lost his son, Ryan Patrick Halligan, on Oct. 7, 2003 to suicide after Ryan had been bullied at school.

Halligan grew up in Long Island, New York, and before becoming a professional speaker, Halligan worked at IBM. It wasn’t until 2009 that he decided to quit and do presentations full time.

Halligan had never planned on presenting to children, but after working to have the Vermont Bully Prevention Bill passed, a school counselor in Vermont reached out wanting him to be a keynote speaker during a Respect Day assembly.

Since then, Halligan has been speaking to students for about 18 years at close to 2,500 schools. His motivation to keep presenting is due to all of the emails and positive reactions he has gotten from sharing his son’s story.

Halligan has had many successes come from his work.

“What’s so rewarding to me is just getting these emails from people who are in their twenties now and saying that they’re still thinking about this story,” said Halligan. “They’re still thinking about this presentation.”

What’s so rewarding to me is just getting these emails from people who are in their twenties now and saying that they’re still thinking about this story.”

— John Halligan

Halligan does not just present to students, but also to parents.

There are a few differences between the presentations, including telling parents about the danger of computers, as well as social media, and to not change the subject when their children are expressing suicidal thoughts.

He also tells parents about the latest suicide statistics and how sensitive children may have a higher chance of experiencing suicidal thoughts.

Halligan had done multiple interviews online with Ashley, who was involved in Ryan’s story by tricking him into believing that she liked him. Halligan has since forgiven Ashely.

“About five or six years ago, we met for lunch,” said Halligan. “I guess she saw my calendar and wanted to meet up for lunch and give me an update on her life, and again express her deep regret of being a part of this story.”

Ashely had a rough time but is now doing better. She is now married and has a baby boy.

Halligan turned his son’s story into two books along with a school counselor as a co-writer.

There is one book for students and one for parents, and you can find these books on his website.

The book “Ryan’s Story: A Father’s Hard-Earned Lessons about Cyberbullying and Suicide” goes into his son’s story in more detail and gives parents some guidelines and advice. This book came about because students continued to ask if he had written one.

Halligan had four key messages that he always leaves with students: forgiveness, strong suicide prevention, don’t be a bystander, and we all have the opportunity to create a clean slate.

If you are being bullied, Halligan believes that the first thing somebody should do is not bully themselves.

He also says that you need to reach out and get the help you need.

“It’s not about tattle telling or being weak; we all need help in this life,” said Halligan.