A basketball game to go down in history

Senior Frankie Denvir reaches 1,000 career points, breaks school record
Frankie+Denvir+celebrates+1%2C000th+career+point+with+team.+
@del_val_boys_basketball
Frankie Denvir celebrates 1,000th career point with team.

Jan. 8, 2024 was a night to remember for senior basketball star Frankie Denvir.

During the home game, Denvir scored his 1,000th career point while also breaking the school record for most points scored in a single game. Denvir had 47 points in the game, leading the Terriers to victory against Roselle High School.

Ben Boschen

Going into the game, Denvir was 31 points away from the 1,000 mark, which was the most he had ever scored in a game.

“I was really focused on getting 31 points because I wanted to have my big 1,000th point moment at home,” said Denvir. “Then I got out there and I was really feeling it.”

Coach Michael DePaolo said he had spoken to Denvir on Friday asking if he wanted to go for it, since 31 is considered a lot for one game.

“He said he wanted to go for it, so we just ran our normal stuff, but once he caught fire and kinda just this feeling in the air that he could get it, we just let him play,” said DePaolo.

DePaolo also applauded the other players for their ability to recognize the situation and get the ball to Denvir. 

Denvir recalled feeling pure happiness when he made the shot. The crowd went wild, and it was obvious how thrilled his teammates were for him.

For anyone to hit 1,000 it’s really special but for a player like him who’s just a gym rat that lives and breathes it, I think it’s really a nice accomplishment.

— Michael DePaolo

“I was so proud of myself and I was really glad I broke the record on my 1000th point night,” said Denvir. “It just made it really special.”

According to DePalo, it is obvious how much Denvir puts into his craft all year long, in the gym and at home.

“For anyone to hit 1,000 it’s really special but for a player like him who’s just a gym rat that lives and breathes it, I think it’s really a nice accomplishment,” said DePaolo.

Denvir wanted to leave his mark on the program, and with this game, he did just that.

“The record hasn’t been broken in a decade, and it was great to break it before I left Del Val,” said Denvir. “I’ve also been dreaming of being a 1,000-point scorer but never thought I would actually do it.”

Denvir admits he was able to do it with a little help along the way. 

“My dad has been a huge motivator for me,” said Denvir. “He helped me get better at basketball and has supported me every step of the way.”

The stands were full of people coming to show support for Denvir and the Terriers Monday night, including fellow 1,000-point scorer Logan Blake, class of 2022.

“It feels exciting to be up there with Logan because he always wanted me to reach this milestone and be the best player I could be,” said Denvir. “I looked up to him my first two years on the team, and it feels good to finally reach that level.”

Denvir also hopes his accomplishments motivate other players, just as Blake did for him.

I hope I can inspire younger players to work hard and reach their goals like he did for me.

— Frankie Denvir

“I hope I can inspire younger players to work hard and reach their goals like he did for me,” said Denvir.

DePaolo knows that Denvir is having that effect on the team.

“He leads by example a lot with his play and his hustle, and this year he’s become more of a vocal leader as well,” said DePaolo. “So he’s really taken that next step towards being a leader and getting the guys rallied… It’s just awesome for those kids to hit that and to be able to look back and say ‘I scored 1,000 points.’”