Is Taylor Swift ruining football?

Reilly Botto
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s relationship has been publicized by the NFL, leading to viewer complaints.

Taylor Swift has been on many NFL fan’s minds as they have watched recent Chiefs games.

The camera consistently pans to show Swift cheering on the Chiefs or cringing when someone misses a catch. 

The question everyone is wondering is “is the media is dragging this relationship on too much?” Swift publicly started dating Kansas City Chiefs tight end, Travis Kelce, in Sept. 2023, and the media has been covering it since. This includes articles dramatizing all aspects of their relationship and trying to relate everything they can back to her for press.  

Swift has attended almost every Chiefs game, no matter the location, and is always shown on camera multiple times. This has led to fans complaining that Swift has nothing to do with the game and is being shown too much.

Although this is not her fault, it is a marketing strategy the NFL is using to potentially gain more types of viewers like her fans.

Social media has also taken advantage of the stars’ relationship with the habit of publishing pictures of Swift and Kelce after Chiefs games. 

One sports account, FanDuel, published an post on X that asked, “Should Taylor Swift get a ring if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl?” Shortly after this tweet, many other news outlets decided to make similar posts that romanticized the Super Bowl by pairing it with marriage.

These posts pushed fans over the edge, as they felt Swift was being used as a publicity piece for the Super Bowl. 

The official NFL Instagram account has been continuously posting pictures of Swift and Kelce, and fans have had conflicting opinions in the comments about these pictures. They were quick to respond to the NFL’s post on Jan. 28:

“petition to ban her from the sport of football,” wrote @preston1of1.

“Stop posting Taylor bro I’m a chiefs fan and could care less about her,” wrote @mark09clark.

“you guys are literally making it seem like taylor swift was the one in the game,” wrote @caitlynnkowalski.

This poll has ended.

Is the NFL featuring Taylor Swift too much?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Not all of the comments were critical of the NFL and Swift, however.

“Awesome and happy for them. I wish people would stop hating on Taylor as if she asked for all of this news coverage during games,” wrote @garyfreeman2633.

“To ALL the guys who are hating on Taylor Swift, YOU ARE ALL JUST JEALOUS. People who hate are projecting on their insecurities. First insecurity – you’re not in the NFL. Second insecurity – you’re not dating a beautiful billionaire,” wrote @mialaren_.

“It’s so sad how you people are so full of hatred,” wrote @travelermexicangirl.

It’s understandable where fans are coming from. If they’re there to watch football, it makes sense fans don’t care for the constant camera pans to Swift.

Although, this is not Swift’s fault either. She is not to blame for her constant showings on TV because she is just attending her boyfriend’s game.

The NFL is to blame because it’s using her attendance as a marketing technique to gain more viewers and press. The NFL is achieving its goal because people are talking about Swift and the Chiefs, so it might as well continue panning to her.