The Student News Site of Delaware Valley Regional High School

The Delphi

The Delphi

The Delphi

Polls

What movie are you most excited for this summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Recent Sports Scores

Hoops for Hunger returns to Del Val

Ellie Lyons
Hoops for Hunger was a competitive event that raised hundreds of dollars for local food banks.

This year Del Val decided to bring back Hoops for Hunger, previously known as Hoops for Heart. 

Hoops for Hunger is a fun school event to raise money, with both competitive and non-competitive basketball games. Participants would get to pick their team and dress up in fun outfits to play basketball for the first half of the day.

In order to participate there was a fee of $30 per person. There was also food collection baskets and Hoops for Hunger tee-shirts available. All the money raised and food donated went to the local food bank to help families in need. 

All of these teams worked extremely hard throughout the game fighting to be in the finals. To be inclusive to all, Del Val allowed teams to chose whether they wished to play competitively or non competitively.

When the finals came around teams in both brackets put up a good fight. Teams 15, 14, 11 and 5 were fighting for first.

The non-competitive division had a nail biting finish with a total of four one minute overtimes. The last overtime was sudden death declaring “Papas” the ultimate winner of the non competitive division. The competitive division had a more obvious winner, “Marry V Lum” beating the other team by quite a few points. 

Del Val was extremely happy that they got a chance to host Hoops for Hunger this year to help the local food bank and families in need.

A total of $2,152.50 has been raised and is being donated and split between our 4 local food banks, and “The Open Cupboard” food pantray in Clinton, New Jersey.