The Delphi staff trains at Columbia University

Molly Esposito

The Delphi Staff stand upon the stairs of Columbia University’s Library stairs.

Sarah Nerwinski, The Delphi Editor

On Monday, November 4, The Delphi staff traveled to the Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) 2019 Fall Conference at Columbia University, one of the best journalism schools in America.

Columbia University is located in the Upper West Side in Manhattan, New York, and is know to to have an outstanding graduate-level journalism program. Many of the university’s journalism graduates go on to work for high-end news sources like 60 Minutes, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, and more.  When provided the opportunity to train at the university, The Delphi’s advisor, Mr. Brian Smith, was ecstatic. “We are a young staff, and The Delphi, as it exists in the digital age, is young as well.  Giving my students the opportunity to be exposed to professionals and all of their knowledge is indispensable.  Journalists need to get out of their staff room and into the real world to really find their voices and their unique perspectives” Mr. Smith said.

One Journalism Club member, Alan Dursee, enjoyed the seminars. “I had a really great time today. I really learned a lot in the seminars, and I loved the independence we got to walk to lunch and around the campus. I was a little hesitant about this trip at first, but my mind quickly changed.” Alan went to Tom’s Restaurant for lunch, which the restaurant featured in the show Seinfeld

Clare Erwin, The Delphi’s editor, also appreciated her trip to Columbia. “I really enjoyed the trip, and I think it was extremely beneficial for all who went, whether they are pursuing a career in communications or not. The experience was definitely worth it, and I can honestly say I left every lecture more informed than when I walked in. Plus, it was really great to see New York City and Coumbia’s beautiful campus. I would love to continue the tradition and attend again next year!” Erwin went to the annual fall conference for the past 2 years and is hoping to attend more, as she becomes well informed after every one. 

Rebecca Sutton is also a member of the Journalism Club, and she had just as much fun as everyone else. “I had a wonderful time at this event! All of the sessions I attended were interesting, the campus was beautiful, and I loved the freedom of attending whatever sessions I wanted to and being able to eat out in the city. I would absolutely do this event again!” Rebecca plans to go back to the fall conference next year to learn more about the programs Columbia has to offer.